Motor mount & Header choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I appreciate your response. I checked out the Flowtechs and those are just what I am looking for.
As with all headers The Flowtechs I installed on the 78 El Camino where a PITA, You might have two remove a few things like the oil filter and starter. You might have to raise the motor off the motor mount for one side.

Doug

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks for the warnings. The biggest pain I have endured installing headers was on a 69 Chevelle with a BBC. The headers had one tube on each side that wrapped around a frame rail. Impossible does not even get close to describing how difficult the installation was.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay. Think this is just about where I first came in on this subject. As matters currently stand, and after multiple exercises in research on the matter I think that I can safely say that there may be no manufacturer that makes a set of headers that are directly compatible with the clamshell style GM motor mounts. My own thread on this issue was Project Regress and it outlined exactly what I ran into. Both Hedman and Flowmaster, at some point in the last decade or so, modified their pipe design so that, instead of the number one tube coming straight out of the port, making a 90 degree turn towards the firewall, meeting 3,5, and 7, and then dropping down, they rotated it to come down at an angle to make that approach. What this means is that the number one tube crashes directly into the clamshell. Been there, had that happen. Tried to exchange a set of Flowmasters for a set of Hedman Elites and found that NONE of the Hedmans would fit. Hedman does not publish this fact on their own site but, during a visit to the OPGI site, I checked out a sale on headers that they were having, which was mostly Hedman products, and found, in the accompanying installation notes, a line that stated succinctly and directly that the clamshell mounts were not compatible with the product described above. This line repeated itself for all the headers that I investigated that would have otherwise been applicable for my G-Body M/Carlo, which, if memory serves, shares pretty much the same chassis as your 'Bu. The options that got discussed during my thread included changing out the complete mount assembly from the frame to the mill and substituting a race specific version that would accept the pipes, keeping the frame portion and exchanging the clam for a replacement offered by UMI that is made with the room to allow the pipe to pass; this was actually suggested by another Malibu owner on this site who had used them himself, or pulling the clams and modifying them to gain the room to let the pipe pass. One contributor to my thread actually stated that he had gone that route and done the work with the motor still bedded in.

What I have personally elected to do was take a spare set of the upper clams and modify them to a shape that, I think, will allow that number one pipe to move on by without issue. Right now they are in the paint booth and I had planned to take a pic or two of them tomorrow once they have dried. Once installed, I will be going back to my Flowmasters as I cannot exchange them; too many years since I bought them,. I can post copies of the pics of my version of those clams to this thread as well as attaching them to Project Regress. AS Interested?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did have a set of Hedman's 68310 on my '81 with no issues with the clam shells. Outside of not reading the instructions at first, there was no real fit issues. I did have to reroute the battery cable from the original V6 routing. To add, these were one of the few sets that would work with the clutch linkage.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Okay. Think this is just about where I first came in on this subject. As matters currently stand, and after multiple exercises in research on the matter I think that I can safely say that there may be no manufacturer that makes a set of headers that are directly compatible with the clamshell style GM motor mounts. My own thread on this issue was Project Regress and it outlined exactly what I ran into. Both Hedman and Flowmaster, at some point in the last decade or so, modified their pipe design so that, instead of the number one tube coming straight out of the port, making a 90 degree turn towards the firewall, meeting 3,5, and 7, and then dropping down, they rotated it to come down at an angle to make that approach. What this means is that the number one tube crashes directly into the clamshell. Been there, had that happen. Tried to exchange a set of Flowmasters for a set of Hedman Elites and found that NONE of the Hedmans would fit. Hedman does not publish this fact on their own site but, during a visit to the OPGI site, I checked out a sale on headers that they were having, which was mostly Hedman products, and found, in the accompanying installation notes, a line that stated succinctly and directly that the clamshell mounts were not compatible with the product described above. This line repeated itself for all the headers that I investigated that would have otherwise been applicable for my G-Body M/Carlo, which, if memory serves, shares pretty much the same chassis as your 'Bu. The options that got discussed during my thread included changing out the complete mount assembly from the frame to the mill and substituting a race specific version that would accept the pipes, keeping the frame portion and exchanging the clam for a replacement offered by UMI that is made with the room to allow the pipe to pass; this was actually suggested by another Malibu owner on this site who had used them himself, or pulling the clams and modifying them to gain the room to let the pipe pass. One contributor to my thread actually stated that he had gone that route and done the work with the motor still bedded in.

What I have personally elected to do was take a spare set of the upper clams and modify them to a shape that, I think, will allow that number one pipe to move on by without issue. Right now they are in the paint booth and I had planned to take a pic or two of them tomorrow once they have dried. Once installed, I will be going back to my Flowmasters as I cannot exchange them; too many years since I bought them,. I can post copies of the pics of my version of those clams to this thread as well as attaching them to Project Regress. AS Interested?
Yes, pics of the modified clam shells will be appreciated. I'm not opposed to buying motor mounts that will work. Part numbers/company name and any other details will help.
Thank you for your insight.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Further to my first comments, Pagrunt noted that he had run earlier versions of the Hedman's without encountering motor mount problems. In my 78 M/Carlo, when I swapped in the small block and lost the V-6, I ran Hedman headers from the get-go. Went through 3 or 4 sets of them due to winter driving but had no issues with them apart from the whole business of having to lift the car to do one side because it went in from below. Why Hedman changed its design is a mystery. Could be anything from better scavenging of exhaust fumes to money savings based on less tube being used or faster production. ??? Yeah, I will try to post those pics later on today.

Nick

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I went to the UMI site and found the solid motor mount kit part # 0059, which I plan to order.
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge/experience with getting headers to fit the G-Body.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you are going to a solid mount Mororo's will give you more clearance, this is what I use for my BBC.
#62630 for the frame.
And #62515 for the engine.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Thank you for the suggestions on motor mounts. I ordered the UMI mounts this afternoon.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
As I offered earlier, here are the upper engine half clamshells that I modified to work with my Flowmasters. They would probably work with hedmans as well but I have no plans to create a test bed for clams and headers!!
DSCN2392.JPG
DSCN2393.JPG
DSCN2368.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2394.JPG
    DSCN2394.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor