Motor Trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I read that one last week during my lunch break & noticed there are points in it that's incorrect. Nice to see something about our cars but them & all others that do articles about them need to do better/real research than talking to that older dude that had one back in the day. One example of not researching is this line:
(Confusingly, the Bonneville was both a mid-sized G-body and full-sized B-body at the same time!)
They got that simple thing wrong as we know '81 was the last year B & '82 was the first year G ('83 for Canada) for the Bonneville. It never ran on two platforms at the same time. Even this list of models/years offered is off & incomplete. I would love to find a post '81 Lemans coupe. Biggest thing is not adding the fact they were A's from '78-'81. This isn't even the only one with incorrect info.Becuse of these articles more people will believe it when that guy says his '85 had a factory gas 350 or some owner add on was factory with the car being rare dispite the VIN claims it was a everyday grandma car.

Reactions: 2 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; From what I remember the 78-79 & 80's were "A" bodies & GM did change the letter to "G" until 81?? Even though 98% of the parts interchange with the later 81 & up "G" chassis. I always wondered why they were A's when they had few part that interchanged with pervious A's? Example the 77 A's had NO metric fasteners & our 78-79 & up were all metric body fasteners. Ole' Bob.

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Greetings Guys; From what I remember the 78-79 & 80's were "A" bodies & GM did change the letter to "G" until 81?? Even though 98% of the parts interchange with the later 81 & up "G" chassis. I always wondered why they were A's when they had few part that interchanged with pervious A's? Example the 77 A's had NO metric fasteners & our 78-79 & up were all metric body fasteners. Ole' Bob.
They were both A and G bodies. My 79 Cutlass had some metric and some standard on it. They are mostly G bodies as the majority of threads are metric.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
GM could’ve called whatever - ‘78+ are all G-bodies to me if it’s rear wheel drive. The parts interchange if you use the correct fastener - SAE or metric

Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
No mention of the El Camino or any grand prix except for the 2+2. No mention of the fact that you could get a manual transmission.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That article is definitely lacking. Almost like the author wasn’t interested in making it accurate, or as if it was filler that was needed before a print date.

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
A-body '78 thru '81 model years, then became G-body for '82 model year. So technically correct, G-bodies hit showrooms during '81 calendar year.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor