Msd box mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Hey guys, long time no post.

I'm looking to put in an msd 6al-2 and I'm having a tough time underhood finding a spot where it fits and is accessible for tuning the Rev limiters. Anyone have pics or suggestions? I'm just looking for what others have done. Might also put an underhood fuse box right with it too if there's room, if not, no big deal, I'll find a spot for that much easier.
And I do want to keep it underhood if possible.

Thanks!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I thought about mounting mine inside the car but I still want the ducts and glovebox. Its actually one of the last things I have to do on my 81 besides mounting the relay for the neutral safety. I picked up a black aluminum mounting plate and Im thinking of putting it on the drivers inner fender up front where the charcoal canister would go. I have a new washer fluid bottle to go on the inner first. If theres any room after thats in maybe I'll put it someplace else.
Funny, thats what I was working on until almost 9:00 the day before I went into the hospital. If I didnt have to run out and buy smaller split loom that afternoon it might have been done. LOL
Cant wait to see some more of these replies. Maybe I'll put it in a different place.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I also want to keep my glove box, and I have a/c so ducts are staying! What is the mounting plate you're speaking of though? Do they sell them? I figure I could bend on up pretty easy if needed.

My car is olds powered so flip flop the battery and charcoal canister for me, but I still have mine hooked to the tank! Not fully, but I never removed it. I suppose that could be a great spot right there though, good point!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I also want to keep my glove box, and I have a/c so ducts are staying! What is the mounting plate you're speaking of though? Do they sell them? I figure I could bend on up pretty easy if needed.

My car is olds powered so flip flop the battery and charcoal canister for me, but I still have mine hooked to the tank! Not fully, but I never removed it. I suppose that could be a great spot right there though, good point!
The one I bought looks like this but its black. I probably didnt really need it but I thought it would look good and it wasnt a ton of money.

1648950339452.png

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
While I currently do not have any close up photos from when I had a Holley strip Annihilator ignition box mounted in my black 79 Monte Carlo I had cut out and mounted the box in the passenger side kick panel under the dash inside the car. The controller connection was easy to access and the main bundle of wires ran out through a grommet under the heater box. The system was removed and is awaiting install in the blue car now so I cannot get any new photos for clarity.
Red arrow points to the box.
P1011282_LI.jpg

Last edited:

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I mounted my digital 6 plus box as shown above in the passenger side kickpanel where the factory computer used to be. I have a small 12 bolt fan mounted behind it to help keep it cool. I was shocked I could not find more available real estate for it!

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
The kick panel would be a great place if the box didn't have Rev limiter dials in it that need to be accessible. I want to keep it where I can just grab a small screwdriver and tune it without removing parts to get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor