Musings/Ramblings/Opinions on the EV push

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I recommend retirement on a farmhouse porch among Iowa cornfields. Set up a big still in the barn and brew potable 108 octane.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's proof we're not ready for the EV push currently going on. Saying Kalifornia won't be able to keep the lights on all summer mean setting up EV charging like getting gas at times during the '70's?

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here's proof we're not ready for the EV push currently going on. Saying Kalifornia won't be able to keep the lights on all summer mean setting up EV charging like getting gas at times during the '70's?
There's no more dysfunctional place on earth than Kalifornia. You would think that after all the decades of problems they would implement better forest management practices both via selective logging and, I dunno, installing an ACTUAL utility easement regime. In most normal states you don't see anything taller than 6 inches within a couple hundred feet of a high tension line. Yet, somehow, in California they have not just trees but weak and diseased ones close enough that a normal wind during summer storms can knock enough into the lines to trigger wildfires.

By now I'd have perhaps even transitioned to ground based distribution cables if it was such a problem, but, as we all know they like their drama. I guess the wildfires satisfy their latent desire for the experience of riot smoke without all the work and effort of actually rioting.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

I heard one of the solutions they have is that they will drain power out of parked EVs during peak draw times. Its not a joke either.

• Haha

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I wonder if the recent EV push combined with the high gas prices is an effort to train the little people to get used to not traveling as much?

• Creative

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I wonder if the recent EV push combined with the high gas prices is an effort to train the little people to get used to not traveling as much?
I lean to the non-ownership model of subscription payment only in the long term

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
The EV isn't without some pushback. Cadillac dealers around here are going to be turning in their license to GM pretty soon and you'll need to go far and wide to get a new Caddy when they go "all electric" soon. The deal is, if I understand it correctly, GM is forcing dealers hands by saying they must do all the dealership upgrading for servicing and charging Caddy EVs ON THE DEALER'S DIME before they get the first order of Caddy EV. GM will reimburse them if they comply, but that will be after the fact. In case anyone has been paying attention at GM lately, they'd notice they can't sell hardly ANY new cars at the moment because GM isn't building them!!! So how can dealerships afford to outlay that kind of cash to upgrade when they don't even have anything to sell to keep the money pump running? WTF? So, at least around this surrounding area far and wide, Caddy dealers are throwing in the towel. There's not going to be many people driving 100-150 miles to buy a Caddy EV. Another idiotic GM gamble.

Not even going to touch the electric grid. That infrastructure nightmare will come home to roost. I'm sure it will be a problem that will get solved eventually, but not before everyone and their brother has committed to building nothing but EVs, requiring LOTS more charging capabilities, and burning down more homes and cars, and other structures. I'm not anti-EV. But there's more important issues to solve much more pressing than trying to overload the electrical grid right now. Cart before the horse. Fly the plane while building it...dumb. It's going to cost more for electricity one way or another, and more for gas. Pick your poison.

Honestly, I think GM's approach is by design here. It's been long opined that GM has way too many dealers, but the legal ramifications of them cancelling and closing dealers is way too expensive. So I'm guessing they're using this as an opportunity to flip the script and cause dealers to quit (supposedly) absolving them of any legal obligation for closing the dealer. Though I'd also guess that there's more than a few deep pocketed dealers with good lawyers that will claim GM is doing this with the sole intention of forcing them to close. Let's not forget that Cadillac has really struggled with it's identity for several decades now. Cadillac is no longer the 'Cadillac of automobiles'. They're a wanna be luxury marque that would really really like to play in the same league as BMW, MB, Audi etc., and even have made some significant strides in doing so, but just can't get past the elephant in the room of GMs reputation built during the '90s and '00s malaise era.

I have stated in other threads that the EV push is only a stepping stone. The next pushs will be full time autonomous driving and the end of private car ownership. That cars will either be leased, subscription, or rideshare service. At that point its likely older manual driven cars will be banned from public roadways, at least in urban areas.

Another disturbing trend with EVs and modern ICE is all the drive by wire controls which reduce the driver's control of the car. Cars ard already semi autonomous with DBW throttles, automatic braking, auto parking etc. And it will only increase. Likely one of the real reasons for the EV push is that its easier to automate EVs over ICE. Moreover, another bad trend is the rise of subscription based business model in the automotive market which Tesla pioneered. Hence "You will own nothing and be happy."

If the wagon is going off a cliff, I rather be on the sideline and watch it go by.

Frankly I think the autonomy and subscription based services are fully decoupled from EV vs ICE argument at this point. Self driving will take longer, simply because of the legal liability ramifications. But the subscription model is coming to cars, and it's coming faster than we might have thought. Multiple manufacturers have already begun talking about this, and even with the predictable public backlash. But I think the public will eventually accept it. Hell, approximately 25% of vehicles in the US are leased. That's just a whole car subscription. Why not take it to the microtransaction level are charges for each individual feature? Manufacture of goods with big one time up front payments is brutal for a companies revenue streams and it can be unpredictable. But a subscription model with consistent predictable revenue that isn't necessarily tied to making the current quarters sales numbers? That's gold! The software market went through that transition years ago. One no longer 'buys' a copy of Microsoft Office and then uses it until obsolescence forces them to upgrade. It's all Office 365 where you pay XX$ per month per subscriber. The automotive industry is just starting down the same path now that remote connectivity to the vehicle and software control has become ubiquitous.

Of course all future cars may not be owned by rideshare companies. However, its likely private car ownership will become increasingly rare and likely replaced with more profitable perma leases to consumers. Especially as modern cars continue to become increasingly more expensive and become more out of reach for most consumers. Already you don't own the software and tune that makes modern cars run, you only have a end user agreement.

One of the big arguments pro automonus car people use is that you can hire your car out while you work or sleep. Like that would end well. Tesla cars already are full time linked to corporate HQ who can remotely change parameters just like Microsoft does with automatic windows updates. You want 50 more hp? Just pay Tesla to remotely unlock that extra 50 hp. The future of cars will include over the air microtransactions and paywalls. Also many modern cars spy on their owners and sends data back to the manufactures like Onstar and Tesla. Scarey 1984 BS.

The other big issue is the further erosion of right to repair, especially on the software side. Electronics and computers are a real double edge sword. OEMs see tinkering as tampering as lost revenue that must be prevented. Some new cars you can't just replace faulty sensors, you have to program the PCM to accept the replacement sensor and only the mothership dealer have access to that ability.

Further to my previous comments, there's also the point that manufacturers are taking the stand that, while you may buy the physical 'thing' (car, mobile phone, tractor, etc) all the software and everything that makes it works is still oned by the manufacturer and is there own IP. You as the consumer do not own that. It will be very interesting to see how these right to repair legal battles turn out. In my opinion it seems like the EU may save the consumers' *ss here as they've shown evidence of forcing manufacturers to adopt common standards and be more protective on consumers' right to repair.

You can't consume infotainment while driving. That freedom is outlawed. The car companies see the future, and that is designing the machine to deliver the entertained to their destination. Your own personal Amazon Prime. Anyone recall the movie Wall-E?

That's a very interesting point. Given that At least half of the worlds most valuable companies are considered 'media' companies in some way shape or form, the push for autonomous driving all the sudden opens up a couple more hours a day where you could be consuming media. We'll ignore the dying radio industry in that respect. Your subscription to autonomous driving in your leased car while you sit there for a 1-2 hours per day on your commute consuming Twitter/Facebook/TikTok media and being served ads generating multiple revenue streams for the car manufacturers sounds amazing. For the car makers.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor