My 1978 Monte Carlo Build and Restoration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsc001

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2011
Im also in the process of building a 78 monte, and let me tell you for the price you paid you got a hell of a deal. I paid $2300 for mine with a trash interior, 305, and a swiss cheese floor. good luck with the build.

Attachments

• monteengine2.jpg
    monteengine2.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 2,102

BowtiesOnly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2011
Thanks man, I do feel as though I made out pretty good, the car is like two different vehicles, everything from the door up is in awesome shape, undercoated, no rust or rot, but from the doors back it's pretty much all junk, need rear frame horns, quarters and rockers as well. all in good time, it won't see salt again so it shouldn't get much worse until I get around to fix it, damn New Hampshire Winters! :x

BowtiesOnly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2011
A sad, sad day this weekend, I had to get rid of my other vehicle, I just couldn't swing the gas for two chevy 350's, and I want to be able to save up some cash to keep up with the Monte. I had a 1995 Chevy Tahoe LS, 1 of only 500 ever 5 speed manuals, fully loaded, big posi rear end, thousands of dollars invested. It was my baby, but the New England winters took it's toll on the undercarriage, and it was time to let her go. Here's the last, and only picture I have of them together. AMERICA! :lol:

normal_1315685398685.jpg

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
Sad to see the old "Hoe" go. i know what you mean about the gas. Along with my 78 Monte i have a 96 "Hoe" as well, for my daily driver, these New England winters have not been to nice to it either, my body on the Tahoe is not too bad, had to replace the rear bumper, the frame has allot of scale on it but its solid. Right now i do about 80 miles a day in it for work and have been averaging 17.6 mpg on it. Not too bad for a 5500lb 4 wheel drive 4 door Tahoe.

At least you kept the Monte!

BowtiesOnly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah my body was tight, cuz it had been oiled and sh*t, but I already had a hole in the arch of the frame, and the rear bumper was swiss cheese. lmao. I got similar mpg during the summer. Where you at in New England?

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
I'm down in Harrisville, RI. If you need parts i know of a 78 Monte for sale for like $400 with no engine/transmission.
My 78 was rustproofed when it was new so it is rust free, even the original bolts for the suspension etc are still factory blue or other painted colors. Where are you in NE?

BowtiesOnly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2011
I'm up in NH, close to the mass border though, I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up doing with this car yet. I know it needs new rear frame horns, before I go dropping bills on it I gotta bring it to a body/frame guy and put it up on a lift and have it thoroughly gone through, if it'd need a frame off, I'd just sell it in the spring.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
there is a guy here in RI selling a complete fram for $175 if needed, also there is a guy selling aftermarket rear frame horns too.

i lucked out i brought my 78 from Arizona when i moved out here, so the frame is very solid

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
nice pick up. I got a 79 myself.

Im really shocked you got the front license plate braket. thats worth the cost of the car. lol

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
GhettoRacingKid said:
nice pick up. I got a 79 myself.

Im really shocked you got the front license plate braket. thats worth the cost of the car. lol

Front plate bracket, hell i've tossed several of those away. Then again my 78 has never had a front plate on it, it doesnt even have holes drilled in the bumper for one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor