My 1985 Cutlass Supreme Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
I bought a 85 Cutlass Supreme project last winter. The car had no engine in it, but came with a TH-200C trans in unknown shape. The frame rails and body are in good shape, with very little rust. Not an easy task to find in the upper Midwest. The half vinyl top is shot through. The weather is finally breaking here, and it time to get some work done on it. First things first, the engine.

I went to a local yard and picked up a 5.3 LS out of a wrecked 03 Chevy Tahoe. I was going to put a different cam in it, and drop it in the car. When I removed the old cam, I found the front cam bearing hailed, so I tore the whole thing down. The rod and cam bearings were in pretty good shape still. I had a local machine shop check the block and crank, and both were good. The guy honed the cylinders, polished the crank, and installed cam bearings. I cleaned up the pistons, and got new rings, main bearings, rod bearings.

I finally got the short block back together last weekend. I also installed a new LS2 timing chain, and a new LS6 oil pump. I am using the muscle car swap pan, and also got that installed as well. The block is ready for a nice coat of paint. I am now in the process of pocket porting the heads, and installing a set of comp 918 springs.

Once I get the motor squared away, I am going to rebuild the front end, tire rods ball joints, bushings, etc. I also picked up a 2004r trans out of a 87 Monte SS to replace the crappy 200C 3-speed. The trans will have to be gone through before it will survive behind the 5.3. Hopefully I can get it on the road before the cold season comes back.

Attachments

• cutlass 71.jpg
    cutlass 71.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCN0432.JPG
    DSCN0432.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN0434.JPG
    DSCN0434.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 423
  • DSCN0437.JPG
    DSCN0437.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCN0439.JPG
    DSCN0439.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 420

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
That is gonna be FUNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor