My 78’ Pontiac GP/SJ 454 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
One thing to consider is that these cars weren't built with HD parts like the old muscle cars you owned back in the day.
More power means that you will need a better cooling system,stronger transmission,driveshaft and rearend,better brakes,frame & chassis bracing,then if you are driving on any twisty roads you will want better suspension pieces.
Trust me,there is no end to the list LOL
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

Jay.D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2017
St.Paul, Minnesota
One thing to consider is that these cars weren't built with HD parts like the old muscle cars you owned back in the day.
More power means that you will need a better cooling system,stronger transmission,driveshaft and rearend,better brakes,frame & chassis bracing,then if you are driving on any twisty roads you will want better suspension pieces.
Trust me,there is no end to the list LOL
Guy
I hear that, this car came with a new four core aluminum radiator and dual electric fan set up, also a 170 thermostat. It runs pretty cool. It also has oversized front coil springs and oversized sway bar. I’m thinking ill put a 4L80E in it and dump the 700R4 that’s in it now. I’m sure i’ll end up putting sub-frame connectors in it also. I don’t want to twist up the car doing the g-body shuffle.
I would like a reliable car that will take a pounding whenever I choose to lay the hammer down.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Sounds like you have some good parts in there already.
But you wont need subframe connectors as these are full frame cars.
Heres a link to a lengthy post on here about frame bracing ;
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/f41-and-aftermarket-bracing-diagrams-more-pics-added.8126/
If you have time you might find it an interesting read.
I've used some of the ideas in here,at one time there was a junk yard here with the older G Body's and I got some Pontiac GP braces,as well I have made some of my own.
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Reactions: 1 users

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
Sounds like you have some good parts in there already.
But you wont need subframe connectors as these are full frame cars.
Heres a link to a lengthy post on here about frame bracing ;
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/f41-and-aftermarket-bracing-diagrams-more-pics-added.8126/
If you have time you might find it an interesting read.
I've used some of the ideas in here,at one time there was a junk yard here with the older G Body's and I got some Pontiac GP braces,as well I have made some of my own.
Guy
I didn’t realize the Grand Prix is a full frame car. I always though all G-body’s were sub frame cars. Learn something new every day!
I did check out that frame bracing thread, very good info and will continue on reading through it when time permits.
I tell ive been thinking hard about maybe dumping the 454 and putting a freshly built 383 small block in my car? Idk, I’m going to have to think on it some more and see how many people try talking me out of it? Lol..

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
Heres a link to a blog I made a few years ago on the mods that I've done to my Monte;
http://guysmonte.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-suspension-upgrades.html
I also put a UMI shock tower brace on a few years ago;
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_404&products_id=911
All the extra bracing and stiffening you can do well make for a better handling car,although it may be a bit rougher on the highway.
Always seems to be a trade off.
Guy
I will always take a better handling car over comfort. I will definitely be looking to add bracing to my car when the time comes.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Well I know that I'm a bit biased,but if it were me I would stick with the Big Block,LOL
Theres lots that can be done with a 454,the 496 stroker build is one of the most popular.
I was thinking about that when I rebuilt mine,but I like to be different and went with the 4.375 inch stroker crank and made it a 513.
I also chose better handling over comfort,and it's not terrible,the wife doesnt complain when we go on trips.
Theres a set of 5 corners going up a slight hill on the way to my buddy's place that I call my "Test Corners".
I can tell you that there's no way that a stock Monte SS would ever come close to the speeds that I can reach on these corners,and I haven't pushed it to the limits...
Guy

Jay.D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2017
St.Paul, Minnesota
Well I know that I'm a bit biased,but if it were me I would stick with the Big Block,LOL
Theres lots that can be done with a 454,the 496 stroker build is one of the most popular.
I was thinking about that when I rebuilt mine,but I like to be different and went with the 4.375 inch stroker crank and made it a 513.
I also chose better handling over comfort,and it's not terrible,the wife doesnt complain when we go on trips.
Theres a set of 5 corners going up a slight hill on the way to my buddy's place that I call my "Test Corners".
I can tell you that there's no way that a stock Monte SS would ever come close to the speeds that I can reach on these corners,and I haven't pushed it to the limits...
Guy
Yeah I thought you might and hoped you would try and talk me out of it.
My thought is buying a motor already done would expedite the build of my car a bit to move on to other things. Like a 4L80E swap. I can come up with four grand for a motor right now and sell the 454 for a decent transmission. Then I’ll just have to put my nose too the grind stone. Basically living at work for a couple three weeks for the couple grand + needed for a Ford 9 inch. I could have the car damn near ready for the car shows at the Minnesota state fair grounds in July and August.
One thing I cannot deny, nothing sounds sweeter than a built big block!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I say put the 383 in it. A crate engine today is so much cheaper and easier to do. Your 454 will become a money pit after you disassemble and find out how little of it is usable and then the high machine shop costs to do it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor