My 83 Grand Prix project

Status
Not open for further replies.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I bought this Grand Prix a few months ago; originally I was going to paint it satin black, but the more I looked into it, the more of a pain that route seemd to be. This is actually a secondary project for me, my main project is a 67 firebird. Here are my plans:
- Keep it cheap
- Make it look good
- Make it run good (stock 305)
- Stay with stock replacement parts
So far, I've tuned it up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and set timing), replaced the front shocks and center link, spiffied up a set of rims I had laying around and mounted new rubber, installed new window sweeps and roof rail seals, replaced the turn signal switch, and painted it. I went with Summit racing's two stage paint to save some money. It came out alright, but I could have went with Omni Au for another $100-$150. I've used Omni in the past with really good results. The thing I noticed about the Summit paint is that the clear seemed really thin, which made it harder to spray, and the clear irritated the hell out of my eyes even with the garage door wide open. I still need to cut and buff, but it's too cold right now, so that will have to wait. Anyway, here are some pics:

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
wow nice job

we don't usually see the build threads progress this quick around here

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Peter said:
wow nice job

we don't usually see the build threads progress this quick around here

Thanks, like I said I have another project going so I had to sort of rush this one. I still need to get some new clips to get the chrome back on and I will have to redo the passenger door, but it'll get there :mrgreen:

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
almost looks like a GN from the side with those wheels. good werk!

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Thanks for the responses. Quick question, is there a trick to get the lower door chromes back on. I'm having issues with the tension on the clips and getting the two studs lined up through the door.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
garyl24 said:
hey bud, how much paint and clear did you use? i am planning on getting summit paint as well and was just curious

I used the following:
1 gallon of primer sealer (mixes to 5 quarts)
3 quarts of jet black (mixes to 4.5 quarts)
1 gallon of clear (mixes to 5 quarts)

I did not do any of the jambs and I used a solid color. If you go with metallic, you may need some extra because you would have to make sure to lay it so that you do not get any striping.

That said, I would probably not use the Summit paint again. For just a little bit more (depending on color), I could have bought Omni Au; PPG's lower line. It mixes 1 to 1 on the base, so you get more for your money and I think it lays better. Plus the clear is not watery like Summits. And, the Summit clear really irritated my eyes. The buffing is a little different too. I tried wetsanding and buffing the hood and I found that I need to use 2000 grit (cuts real fast) and have to really get the buffer spinning at high speed. I'm not a professional, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I can only tell you that this is my 4th full car paint job and a ton of smaller parts so I have a little experience with different products. I've used PPG, Omni, Nason (Dupont), and now Summit. Of those, I think the PPG products work the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor