My 83 Wagon

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mich,
I hope today is a better day for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and keeping a good thought for you. 😣All the best, my friend.
Just came in for something to eat but I was working on the car for a few hours today. I put a mechanical gauge in place of the sender. Started the motors got close to 60lbs. I left it running at idle until it got to 180 and the pressure didnt move. Unfortunately I had to take the carb off to get the electric sender off the 45 degree fitting since I couldnt get to the fitting with a wrench. I want to take the car down the street to put a load on the motor but I cant put the throttle linkage bracket back on with the gauge mounted the way it is.
Im going back out to remove the gauge and hook it up with a length of tubing so I can try to drive it tonight. Im REALLY hoping it was just the sender. I ran out to the speed shop at 4PM to grab a new one just in case since theyre closed tomorrow. 40 minutes there, 40 back.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
An update. Looks like it was bad sender after all. I hooked up the SW mechanical gauge with some tubing and zip tied it to the wiper arm. 60+ lbs at idle. Drove it up and down my street six times at different speeds. Right around 2 miles. The pressure stayed between 40-45lbs. Nothing lower.
Tomorrow morning the new sender goes in. I was sweating this one !!! LOL

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
An update. Looks like it was bad sender after all. I hooked up the SW mechanical gauge with some tubing and zip tied it to the wiper arm. 60+ lbs at idle. Drove it up and down my street six times at different speeds. Right around 2 miles. The pressure stayed between 40-45lbs. Nothing lower.
Tomorrow morning the new sender goes in. I was sweating this one !!! LOL
That's good news, Mich.
I know you were going thru a major anxiety issue....rightfully so. I'm glad things are starting to look up.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That's good news, Mich.
I know you were going thru a major anxiety issue....rightfully so. I'm glad things are starting to look up.
Jack, your right. Major anxiety ! LOL
The last thing I wanted to do is pull that motor again. After driving it up and down my road all I can think about now is getting it finished. I'll be putting the new sender in when I get out there in a little while. Then I'll probably pull the spindles apart after that. Shouldnt take that long and its not that hot out today. Ive got two bags of new shims for the front end shop so maybe I can get the alignment done soon.
Dont forget, right after this I have to yank the 406 out of the 81 to fix the oil leak. It never ends. HAHAHA

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Finally got the left inner fender in and the cars back on the ground. Lots of paint chips and scratches on the frame and suspension. Oh well, it was never meant to be a show car. Still havent purchased tires and rims. Gotta put the hood back on.
I need to have it aligned and have to get an exhaust system. Hopefully in the next two weeks.

IMG_0329.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Finally got the left inner fender in and the cars back on the ground. Lots of paint chips and scratches on the frame and suspension. Oh well, it was never meant to be a show car. Still havent purchased tires and rims. Gotta put the hood back on.
I need to have it aligned and have to get an exhaust system. Hopefully in the next two weeks.

View attachment 186530
So clean and smooth!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
All the rally wheels are now the same color. Cars back on the ground. Im getting it aligned this week. Next is an exhaust and eventually new wheels and tires. Some small things to do. I have to pop the door panels off to put in the vapor barrier and I might have the fronts redone in all cloth. I was always on the fence about the vinyl on the top. I also have to buy another set of belt moldings. The guy in the body shop did a crap job of trimming the outers on the drivers side. Theres at least a 5/8" gap at the front and the angles wrong. Hack. I should have put them on myself.

IMG_0348.jpg

As soon as the exhaust is done on the wagon the motor on the 81 comes out for a new timing chain cover and gasket. Not like I really want to do it but I dont have much of a choice. Its leaking pretty bad. Live and learn.
While the motors on the stand Im going to change a few wires in the engine harness so it will be a little neater. Shouldnt take more than a couple of hours. When I was doing the wiring on the wagon I realized I could fit them into a much smaller diameter split loom. Looks a little better.

IMG_0349.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor