My 86 442: update 11/11/14 Auto Gear M22Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Re: My 86 442: update 9/3/14 Now with 4 speed!

Awsome. ... you inspired me to look for manual transmission for my olds

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

I just plowed through the entire build thread. To buy what you've built with sweat and ingenuity would cost about $30,000. It's fantastic to have the car done before you start a family. For your next project, build a house! I'm 47 with a Malibu project I've spent 14 years alternating between dreaming and building, and it's almost ready to run, but a long way from being painted. Drive and enjoy it, you've earned the right to say you built it, not just made payments on it!

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York

ssn696 said:
I just plowed through the entire build thread. To buy what you've built with sweat and ingenuity would cost about $30,000. It's fantastic to have the car done before you start a family. For your next project, build a house! I'm 47 with a Malibu project I've spent 14 years alternating between dreaming and building, and it's almost ready to run, but a long way from being painted. Drive and enjoy it, you've earned the right to say you built it, not just made payments on it!

Thanks! Its been quite the challenge making changes and figuring things out. Especially with the recent auto to manual swap. I've been driving the wheels off of it daily since I finished the swap! This car is a learning tool for me to gain experience and knowledge for my job restoring and customizing classic and muscle cars, but at the same time it is my hobby.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE

Started browsing and i'll be damned, there exists an Olds/manual 4 speed here on forum! And great timing, I just picked up a Super T-10 with linkage and shifter last night to put into my cutlass. It will be paired with to a 403. I still have to get bellhousing or adapter plate. I need to check my 403 this weekend to see if the crank is drilled for a pilot bearing (hopefully it already is). I have a few questions if you don't mind me picking your brain regarding bellhousing, shifter location and probably a few more questions.

How much and were did you get the bellhousing?
Does your shifter sit closer to the drivers side?
Was your 350 crank already drilled?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York

I picked up the bellhousing on e bay. The seller was David's 4 Speeds. It is a correct g body bop bell with the lowered ball stud location. It was around$250 iirc. The g body fork came from The Parts Place.

The shifter is offset toward the drivers side just a bit. It is also farther back than standard g body.

My crank was drilled for the pilot so all I did was pick up a dorman bushing and pressed it in. There are specs out there showing size of the hole needed if your crank needs to be drilled though.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE

Did you buy another flywheel to fit the bellhousing?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Well I put the Saginaw in and it was a success. But as we all know they are not the strongest transmissions out there if you plan to beat on the car. So before it blows up I decided to pick up a replacement. Not wanting a 40 year old beat to hell Muncie, I went with the alternative. My Auto Gear M22Z 4 speed was picked up yesterday and brought home. Syracuse is only a couple hours away so road trip it was. I went with the modular gear set with ratios of 2.984/2.225/1.468/1.000 specifically designed to run with the 3.08's I stuck in the back of the 442. It's a wide ratio spread but it allows the acceleration with some economy, and its still cheaper and less work than putting a 5 speed in. The car is extremely tame and drive able at highway speeds with the 3.08's. Anyways here's some pics and the Saginaw is for sale, nothing wrong with just didn't want to blow it up.

Stuff I will also be posting for sale: two consoles one is complete, one 3 speed and a 4 speed shifter, also have another 4 speed shifter I think.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Looks great!! What did you do for clutch pedal? Did you find a g-body setup or did you go with f-body or aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor