My 86 442: update 11/11/14 Auto Gear M22Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Re: My 86 442: update 5/11/2013

Hey bud, came across this thread. Your engine bay looks nice. I actually put a full heater box kit in my regal. At one time I was just collecting parts, and I believe I have the top piece that you need. Its the one with the screen in it. Did you happen to need this?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Re: My 86 442: update 11/2/2013

Hey guys, been a while since I've updated progress. Did a few more things. First thing did was cut a big hole in the hood and make the H/O scoop functional. I blocked down all of the existing material on the hood to straighten it out, blocked the new scoop so its straight, and painted it all up.

I also decided to go back to the 200-4R. I had it gone through, billet servo installed and I wired lockup back in. The 3 speed just wasn't fun with the 3.73 rear end on the street. It was hard to do much over 50 without losing your mind due to noise. I also decided to go with a manual valvebody, so I modified the factory shifter to work with it and acquired a new shift indicator.

Last thing I did a couple weeks ago was pull the 280H cam out in favor of an XE262 grind from Comp. The almost factory smooth idle is nice along with the more street friendly low end torque, opposed to the 280's higher rpm curves.

A couple other little things I had a more correct Quadrajet build for the engine, and I also took a pic of the back of my crank. Can anyone tell me if this is an auto or manual crank?

Cams:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

Have you noticed any extra noise from the valve train with the XE cam? I have heard you can hear the valves closing because of the steeper ramps on the lobes slamming them shut and it almost sounds like an old sowing machine. I have one in my 496 but haven't fired it up yet :(

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York

There is a bit of extra noise that I've noticed. Not too much but you can hear it when standing over the enginem I've read that the more aggressive XE cams are worse.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

Where did you get the Rev shift indicator from? Looks factory.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York

oldsofb said:
Where did you get the Rev shift indicator from? Looks factory.

Its an inlay for the cover plate. Got it from TR Custom parts. Its really nice and the light even shines through. It was $10.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Nice job on the hood.. Er actually whole car.

You may remember I used the same scoop & also cut a hole in my hood like yours. Just for some ideas if you are interested.

I put a 1" spacer between my intake & carb both for a little power and so the top of my breather sticks up into the scoop when the hood is closed. I also made a donut plate & fastened it to the bottom of my breather. The donut extends out so that foam could be mounted (glued) on it to surround my filter. Much like early nascar or some of the muscle cars did back in the day.

When I shut my hood the hood seals to the foam. This way the engine is not sucking in any hot horsepower robbing engine heat. I also cut the back of the scoop out so that the engine inhales only outside air. Never had any trouble with rain or car wash water getting to my carb with this design either. What little water could get under the scoop and through the hood would still have to be sucked through the filter. You can see some rough condition pics from before it was cleaned up in my photos if you like.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Re: My 86 442: update 9/3/14 Now with 4 speed!

Been a while sine I posted anything, but haven't really done much to the 442 until recently. I yanked the auto for a 4 speed, I know I lost the overdrive but I got the transmission and shifter for next to nothing. So this will do until I can afford a Tremec TKO. The trans is a saginaw with 2.85 first. I figure if I don't abuse it it'll last for a little while. The shifter is not in the normal g body spot but it feels great where it is, easy to reach.

Here's some pics:

Bellhousing with correct G body ball stud for clutch fork.

American Powertrain flywheel on the 350 Olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor