My 86 el camino smog legal 5.3 attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Only smog legal LS swap in Ca is the crate Erod kits from GM performance.

Not exactly. The E-Rods are the easiest to get passed, but as long as the engine is the same year or newer as the car it’s going in, and came out of a similar weight class of vehicle, you should be OK. The only issue I possibly see here is that the 5.3 was never offered in a passenger car, except the transverse LS4.

Although the El Camino is kind of a gray area. They might consider it a “truck” in which case he’ll be OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Well I'm hoping to get it smogged as an ls1, since everything I'm using is off of one except the block and heads. I didn't think of the possibility that they might check casting numbers on the head though. Will see.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
The refs have a fair amount of leeway in approving swaps. Again, your best reference is the “Engine Change Guidelines” link I posted. It’s a little vague in some areas, but it’s the best you’ve got short of a CARB EO number.

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Not much today, straightened out my old fuel tank straps and bent them the shape of the ls1 tank
20181012_152756.jpg
20181012_152750.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It will be interesting to see the fit of that tank mounted in the car because that thing looks deep.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Please keep us posted, especially if you get it approved! There are a lot of misconceptions about doing engine swaps in CA. This will be very informative to a lot of people. Here's another link I found that might be helpful: http://asktheref.org/

Last edited:

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Please keep us posted, especially if you get it approved! There are a lot of misconceptions about doing engine swaps in CA. This will be very informative to a lot of people. Here's another link I found that might be helpful: http://asktheref.org/
Thanks for the info. I will keep everybody posted. I don't know how long it will be before this thing even turns on, but well see what happens

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor