My 86 el camino smog legal 5.3 attempt

ortega

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
What's up everybody. I have an 85 el camino that I will try to do a smog legal ls swap. I started with a 5.3 4l60. I have an ls6 Intake, throttle body, injectors and fuel rails. 2002 camaro exhaust manifolds and cats. I have a 2002 camaro gas tank with all evap stuff and fuel pump. The ecu and harness is also off a 2002 camaro. The engine is in right now using the holley blackheart motor mount brackets and trans crossmember. My 5.3 pan hits the center link so I will get an f body oil pan soon. I thought I had more pictures on my phone, I will post more pictures later

Attachments

ortega

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
What's up everybody. I have an 85 el camino that I will try to do a smog legal ls swap. I started with a 5.3 4l60. I have an ls6 Intake, throttle body, injectors and fuel rails. 2002 camaro exhaust manifolds and cats. I have a 2002 camaro gas tank with all evap stuff and fuel pump. The ecu and harness is also off a 2002 camaro. The engine is in right now using the holley blackheart motor mount brackets and trans crossmember. My 5.3 pan hits the center link so I will get an f body oil pan soon. I thought I had more pictures on my phone, I will post more pictures later

Attachments

CaliWagon83

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I'm assuming you're in California or another state that requires smog testing. As long as you've got all the emissions stuff from the '02, you should be OK. You just can't have any check engine lights, and you have to have the cats, evap, etc. If you haven't already seen it, here are the official guidelines:

https://bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

I feel you man...I'm going to probably be facing the same thing soon myself.

ortega

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Yup, San Fernando valley. I have all the emissions stuff already, the only things I don't have are the air injection parts. I'll worry about that after I get the engine running.

Clone TIE Pilot

Clone TIE Pilot

Royal Smart Person
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Only smog legal LS swap in Ca is the crate Erod kits from GM performance. The standard production LS engihes from junkyards use enhanced evap systems that can't work with G body gastanks. The erods are special versions with older style evap systems that will work in G bodies. Law is you can't downgrade a engihe's emission system, so you can't use the old style evap on a used engine that originally had enhanced evap.

ortega

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
I wont be using a g body gas tank. I'm replacing it with a 2002 ls1 gas tank with all evap components

olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That 4 gen Camaro gas tank looks like a good fit. Can the filler be postioned behind the license plate? Stupid California is one of few reasons to do an LS swap for us Olds guys, can only use the Olds 307:(. Why people do carb LS swaps is beyond me, might as well stay old school. People call us Canuckistan, I can throw a garden hose on top of my motor for a fuel delivery system, if it tickles my fancy. Of course at $1.25 per liter, it would be insanely expensive. A new car is the way to go in Californiastan, unless you have a complete donor car.

ortega

ortega

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
The back of the tank probably sits maybe an inch lower then the bumper. I could still cut some stuff to raise it a little more