My aching 60’ foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Launching at 1500 with a converter that stalls to 3k is, umm, silly.
Your tc should stall to where you are just hitting the power band or 3-500 rpms below it.

What is your trap rpm? Or do you know where peak HP is?
And what round did you make it to at bracket finals
What track is it going to be held at next year seeing your in division one

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Flooring a car from off idle would be less consistent than leaving on the converter from an ET stand point, because there is a longer dynamic ramp to full throttle that is occuring, vs. a static motor held against a converter at a higher throttle opening, Less variables go into the equation.

The only reason not to leave with a loaded converter is it can blow the tire s off, so one would leave at a lower RPM than fully stalled.

Switching to a trans brake it will be leaving at a similar loaded torque converter state as foot brake so blowing the tires off is now a concern, that wasn't a concern leaving off idle.

I would make sure the car can take a fully loaded torque converter foot brake launch (from a traction standpoint) before switching to a trans brake.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ehh? What?

I thought you were asking about ways to improve your 60’?

If it matters I don’t bracket race, never have and never expect too.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Ehh? What?

Ehh? What?

then you should have read my Initial post and saw that I have tried leaving at a higher rpm with no improvement before you badger me about leaving at a higher rpm

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I hold it at 1500rpm and then give it hell when the last yellow flashes

As I said your at WOT when that light turns green but your welcome to try your vac advance.

What brought this on? It depends if your running NHRA or IHRA, I think they are Numida and Maryland respectively

IMG_3921.JPG

Now the next thing I have to decide on is do I use a 400th or 350th with the trans break most guys are th400 I have both and the trans brakes about the same in price it’s the converter I’m gonna worry about

Think about a glide

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
then you should have read my Initial post and saw that I have tried leaving at a higher rpm with no improvement before you badger me about leaving at a higher rpm

'Badgering', if that's what you refer to friendly advice as, is complete.

Good luck - Jim

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I think this post was a dead end from the start.......

• Agree

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Am I mistaken or did you mention that you have a th350 in one car and a th400 in the other? If memory serves, these two transmissions did not come with the same ration first gear. I know that there were some gear options on each, from time to time but chances are that you have different ratios. That could well be worth a .01th at the 60' mark. As far as consistency, I used to help a friend with a 11 second 67 Chevelle. He had consistency issues for a whole season and found out right before racing finished that he problem was in his throttle linkage. The "takeup" would vary and affected his light.

Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor