my build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
dont know where to put this so its going here.not many good pics right now, but the story is... had a couple of tuner cars(Lancer, MR2) but my father in law had this 88 Monte SS that hes been fixing up. bugged him for 5 years for him to sell it to me and he finally did for 7k. hes done some extensive underbody work on it prior to me buying it because of a shitload of Ontario rust. the plan is to roll out in April 08. so far i havent installed anything but ive gotten a bunch of sh*t ready for it. full AAC air system with 4x200 PSI RE-7 bags, 8 gallon tank and 2 Viair 480 compressors. a guy in the states is powder coating me some reversed 14x7's chrome wire wheels with burgandy nipples and KnockOff's. building a custom system for it right now as well. most are phone pics so not that great but ill put up more soon with my digital. LMK what you think so far.

the car
DSC01037.jpg

sub box
DSC01036.jpg

tracing out sub box dimensions
DSC01034.jpg

sandblasted drums
drums.jpg

8 gallon tank getting ready for paint
tank.jpg

masked plastic front bumper
frontmonte.jpg

masked tank
covertank.jpg

half painted tank aluminum ends to match compressors, it will have burgandy middle to match the car
paintedtank.jpg

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
forgot to mention i shaved the antenna, cut out the rust of the wheel wells and by the front bumper. im also taking off the SS pinstriping to make it look more updated and a cleaner look.

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
its a new build so i havent done much to it yet. the engine for now is staying close to stock, im just doing the main things to get it ready for spring. so far ive spent about 3k on the air, wheels, and some tires and odds and ends(supplies and sh*t) but there are ALOT more things i want to do to it, if only i had more money.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Not to be a sh*t as I respect the work you are putting into it. But if you are building a bouncer or lowrider (not sure of the correct name) why not start with a regular Monte instead of an SS. Not that the SS is super valuable or rare but it seems like a waist. I mean the SS is factory set up with better gears, springs, sway bars, guages, wheels, etc etc all of which mean nothing for your project. A nearly rust free southern generic Monte could have been acquired & brought home for a lot less and will be worth the same when you are done. Just my thoughts best of luck on your project regardless.

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
Vern said:
Not to be a sh*t as I respect the work you are putting into it. But if you are building a bouncer or lowrider (not sure of the correct name) why not start with a regular Monte instead of an SS. Not that the SS is super valuable or rare but it seems like a waist. I mean the SS is factory set up with better gears, springs, sway bars, guages, wheels, etc etc all of which mean nothing for your project. A nearly rust free southern generic Monte could have been acquired & brought home for a lot less and will be worth the same when you are done. Just my thoughts best of luck on your project regardless.

im not building what some would say is a conventional lowrider. im not hopping it, its going to be a from A to B car with some mods. i dont particularily like the factory stance, wheels, or decals. its too 80's. im giving it an updated look and feel to it. i chose the SS because of the body style, its completely different from "OG lowriders" thats why i wont call it a lowrider, because its different in alot of ways. im not putting tacky designs on it, not painting it a kandy color, im specifically giving it a better look and a nicer more cloud like ride, with very little extra weight so i can still use its potential. im not putting 12 batteries in it, its just not what im looking to do. im building it super clean with very little to no loss of function. hope that puts it a little more into perspective.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
air ride is a type of performance suspension but hydraulics are for hopping and the ride sucks.

i like the adjustability, but if was going for just performance i would lower it, but then again if you are all about the adj. then you have a great foundation and the right system

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
ryanwitski said:
air ride is a type of performance suspension but hydraulics are for hopping and the ride sucks.

i like the adjustability, but if was going for just performance i would lower it, but then again if you are all about the adj. then you have a great foundation and the right system

youre right, the ride is crap and hydros are useless if not used for hopping. i went with air for alot of reasons. extra weight is almost nil (100lbs at most) the ride quality, and the functionality of it. if i was to put hydros in it, i couldnt do anything but drive around and hop it. i want full function out of my car, and thats why i got it. i can still fill my trunk with groceries if i need to because everything is going to be tucked and out of the way. i went with it simply for the reasons of ride quality, and the way a drop looks. theres nothing like beinig able to lay 2 inches from the ground sittin pretty and still being able to pop it up and go over speed bumps without scraping and breking your neck.

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
wheels are ready, should be here next week. look at that lip!

mydaytom.jpg

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
well i finally got 2 of my wheels today, heres some more pics of em.
mydayton1.jpg

mydayton2.jpg

mydayton3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor