My Bu's "Re"Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
How are you going to do the bumper tuck? i was thinking about doing the same thing just by taking a section out of the ends and re-welding the bumper back together. Saves money when facing the option of the fiberglass bumpers.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
patmckinneyracing said:
How are you going to do the bumper tuck? i was thinking about doing the same thing just by taking a section out of the ends and re-welding the bumper back together. Saves money when facing the option of the fiberglass bumpers.

Yep, just cut it up and reweld then paint it. Only problem is my bumpers are pretty good, would rather do it to a set that the chrome wasn't as good on. But I wouldn't let something like that stop me :twisted: .

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
I like the work you did on the grille, and i am no stranger to drive way engine swaps- i did two in my 79 Monte and one in a K5 blazer.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
bowtietillidie85SS said:
I like the work you did on the grille, and i am no stranger to drive way engine swaps- i did two in my 79 Monte and one in a K5 blazer.

Thanks. Ya i've done the driveway thing quite a few times, but after having a few different garages it's hard to go back to stones.

Now for the Easter update. I got all the pistons in, now when I get my timing set I can test fit the cam button and timing cover to make sure I have the right one. If I do, I will throw the oil pan and pump on and be done with the short block.
I also pulled the 400 out and have it on its roller stand, ready to be torn down and donate its top end to the 350. Here's a couple more pics.
Something's missing....
100_0520.jpg

Got a little junk in my trunk...
100_0519.jpg

And my 750ci porch...
100_0521.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Ok, here's another minor but major update. I had posted earlier that the bottom end was together, well it was.....
The problem was it was so tight I was having a hell of a time turning it over. Short little rant about parts stores. Keep in mind I used to be the *ss. man. at this store, so I always look up my own stuff and usually go get it myself too. This time I looked the parts up with one of the guys and then let him go get them, mistake. :x All the parts were supposed to be standard, but I ended up with standard main bearings(pretty sure that's all they stock so kinda hard to screw that one up), .010 under rod bearings, and .030 over rings. I caught the wrong bearings before trying to install them but the rings were another story. An entire evening wasted on trying to get them to fit. I made two trips to get the right parts, then installed them. At this point I still could barely turn the motor over. So I tore it back down and took my time(shoulda the first time) cleaning pistons, re-honing, then checked the gap on the new rings. These new rings also took two trips to get. They were out of them so they had a LAW store send another set over, again .030 over instead of standard :evil: . Next day I got the right ones again. Sorry for the rant and loong post.

Now for the good stuff. Motor is back together again. I also got the new-to-me billet timing set in and got the front cover on. Working on making my own oil pump pick-up retainer and then the pan will go on. New head gaskets will be in on Monday.
100_0592.jpg

100_0594.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Doober said:
Lookin' good :D I may steal your grille idea ;)

Thanks Darren, go for it on the grill, I won't mind. :D I still plan on making clear outter turn signals for it too. I don't like being able to see the yellow behind the mesh.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
That'd be cool. Let me know if you find them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor