My Bu's "Re"Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i got a :?: , if i replace my timing gear and chain, to put the cover back on do i have to drop the oilpan and THEN put the cover on, and THEN put the oil pan on?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
beermonkey9417 said:
i got a :?: , if i replace my timing gear and chain, to put the cover back on do i have to drop the oilpan and THEN put the cover on, and THEN put the oil pan on?

I've done it without dropping the pan, but it really makes it a PITA going back in with the cover, and there's always the "leak" factor... :blam:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
1evilregal said:
beermonkey9417 said:

I've done it without dropping the pan, but it really makes it a PITA going back in with the cover, and there's always the "leak" factor... :blam:

I've done it before without dropping the pan completely but, I don't really recomend it. Best to drop the pan, pull your timing cover, swap gears, replace timing cover, then put the oil pan back on.

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
jrm81bu said:
1evilregal said:
beermonkey9417 said:

I've done it before without dropping the pan completely but, I don't really recomend it. Best to drop the pan, pull your timing cover, swap gears, replace timing cover, then put the oil pan back on.
x2

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Got a little more done today. Did a lot of painting. I also made my own oil pump pick-up retainer.
100_0595.jpg

100_0596.jpg

Was hoping to get the bottom end done today but ran in to a lil issue with the oil pan gasket. Head gaskets come in tomorow. :D
Here's a little preview. Starting to get anxious. 8)
100_0597.jpg

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Hopefully that's not the thin-casting M55 8)

I couldn't find those clear marker lenses, but what about this? Nowukno put up some more pics of his '79 on MR. I prefer a little light showing through if I ever tint mine.
IMG_0557.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Ya, I was worried about that on the oil pump. I read that thread on mr a few times, but ended up just grabbing one of the shelf at advance and slapped it on without really looking at it. Don't really have the time or money to find the "right" one.

As far as the lights go, if I don't end up making clear lenses then I will tint them instead. I plan on tinting the taillights anyhow. Thanks for looking for those clear ones though.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Today's update: By god it looks like it might just be a real engine, lol! It's pretty much together. Need to buy a drain plug, then I can add oil and prime it. After that it'll be ready to be tossed in.
Got the heads on and torqued.
100_0599.jpg

Then got the lifters and spider installed, and tossed on the intake.
100_0600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor