My daily driver project 81 ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've been without a RUNNING/DRIVING personal vehicle since summer and riding my motorcycle. Thought I would get my 78 Salon finished to use as my daily but its taking a lot longer to finish up the restoration than I had planned. Now its cold and got a part time job. Needed a vehicle so for two weeks I've been on my local craigslist. Thought I wanted to get a 73-87 squarebody Chevy truck or 78-up ElCamino but they have got pricey. I cannot believe the prices around here for trucks. I just happen to check craigslist yesterday morning and it was the first post that popped up. I was the first to call and it was about 20 miles from me. No rust, 113,000 miles, and working AC. While I was there his phone was ringing off the hook. We settled on $1850 and I drove it home. It is leaking oil everywhere and has the optional self lubricating chassis. Lol. I'm going to pull the engine Monday and power wash engine and engine bay, tear it down and put in new seals and gaskets including rear main. I will put in a new timing chain too since the cover will be removed. I'll replace the hoses and belts too. It has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Edelbrock carb. It looks like a new HEI distributer too. Checked the coolant yesterday and its muddy. So I'll do a complete flushing with the hose after engine is out. Not a huge project like my Salon but going to put in new carpet, new tires, dash cover, and maybe a new seat cover. Going to clean up the paint a little but won't repaint till next summer. Just glad to be mobile again and not in a rush to finish my Salon.

Reactions: 5 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Wow! You have a Fairy Godfather!

Check out liquidh8's build thread - I posted sketches of a trailer receiver hitch from my wagon that would also fit the Elco.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm an addicted subscriber to his thread. I did not notice mine has a hitch on it till last night. Lol. Kinda happy that it has one. If I ever finish my old Kwasaki GPz restoration, I'll be hauling it around on a trailer

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I like it! I'll be tuned into this one as well!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I drove the El Camino to the bank for the old owner to notorize the title. Went to start it up and it cranked for a long time. After about 5 attempts it started. I left from the bank parking lot and it backfired through the carb but after that it made it home. I pulled off the crusty Edelbrock and installed a Holley 600. Totally different engine now. The idle is smooth and it accelerates better but its still not dialed in. The guy I bought it from said the plugs are new but after pulling them, they're old. A few of the tips are caked over with fuel deposits. I removed the distributor cap and rotor. I've never seen contacts in a cap this bad and been a mechanic all my life. It has a fairly new NON computer controlled distributor. Both exhaust manifolds are leaking and they're LOUD. The dual Flowmaster exhaust is floppy and one tail hanger is broke. If I'm going to have to take it to my exhaust guy, I'm putting on a set of Flowtech shorty headers I've had for about 5 years. The original computer harness was still present under the hood and connectors were hanging everywhere. So that crap got removed. Basically, I have opened up a can of worms but I'm all in

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Got the drivers side header on and had to cut the AC compressor rear bracket where it bolts onto the first two manifold studs. I just cut off the rear one and rounded the edges. I used an exhaust manifold stud and a cut down end link sleeve for a spacer. I slotted the end of the stud with a thin cut off wheel so I could screw it into the head. Worked great and the bracket was reattached with a nut just like factory. I think most of the oil leaks are from someone putting on cheapy plain chrome valve covers without the hold down tabs. I removed the left valve cover to find the valve cover flange completely warped and unuseable. Think I'll go down to the parts store in the morning and get a set of Edelbrock chrome valve covers and hold down tabs because its convenient and in my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor