My daily driver project 81 ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So yesterday I HAD to do some maintenance on the El Camino. I had replaced one set of bushings in the drivers side A arm. Well, the annoying squeak has been happening for about a week from the passengers side. One of the Montes had the bushings and ball joints replaced at some point before I got it. My idea was to just swap the a arm out. Thought it would be quick with a jack under the lower a arm. I had to remove the spark plugs, dipstick, and header just to get the upper a arm off. Basically a 15 minute job turned into an hour. I did need to replace the gaskets at the head anyway. The stock replacement Fel Pro singles have always been great with headers but I never did re tighten the bolts and a few were loose. I greased the front end and re did my timing. I had it a bit fast. I've always noticed the car has a bit of a light shake at idle but the engine does not shake. I noticed the lower crank pulley is wobbling causing the belts to have a little slack. The balancer is not wobbling thank goodness. I checked the crank pulley bolts and they're tight. I don't have a spare v belt lower crank pulley here but I do have at least 4 sets of the 86 and up 4 rib ones here. I guess tomorrow if it's not raining, I'll swap out the 3 pulleys.

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So driving in the intermittent rain today, I realized I need my windshield washer to work. I had put on a new pump but when I push in on the switch, it stays running for about 5 seconds after letting up off the switch. Is this normal? The squirter tube was kinked on the drivers side so I swapped both metal tubes with the newer plastic style. It is working now but don't like the 5 second run time after I let up.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It used to stay on for a few swipes of the blades or longer if you held down on the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor