My Dakota Digital VHX install (w/ dash remodel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Turns out, putting the temperature sending unit that came with my VHX system into the drain port low on the driver side of the LT1 block didn't work so well.

It worked OK for reading engine temperature but not well for the radiator fan control to the PAC-2750 module. The reading there lags behind the ECU temp by quite a bit. Catches up after the engine is completely warmed up though. OK but not ideal for the dash gauge but you don't want the fan control to see that lag as it's later than you want for the fans to come on.

To solve this issue, I needed to move the Dakota sending unit. I wanted to put it the same place as the stock ECM temperature sending unit. So I removed the water pump, drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole and mounted the sensor there.

full

full

full

This location is in the same water passage as the ECM temp sender. This passage is radiator cooled water (mixed with the bypass water) entering the engine.
I just got it all put back together and tested a little while ago. Works excellent now. The readings are only a couple of degrees apart between the dash gauge and the ECM reading now. Perfect for fan control.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I wondered about the black dash and the lighter interior, but everything finished out nicely. Well done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I wondered about the black dash and the lighter interior, but everything finished out nicely. Well done.
I'm going to be painting the car white. I'll go with the stock black SS graphics on the outside. That's why black interior. I will be changing the door panels, upholstery and carpet too. All black with some sort of accent on the seats and possibly on the door panels.

Here's my project thread if you are interested:
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=200250

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor