My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Got the lines installed this morning with extra thread sealing goo on the threads. Some Dorman stuff is junk but these lines fit really well. I was impressed at the fit and finish. They weren't too pricey either.
20211212_144830.jpg

The lines are no longer leaking however there is a very steady drip from the inspection cover that definitely was not there before. I'm hoping that the trans is just overfilled (I put 2 quarts in, maybe a little too much) and it's leaking out of the vent at the top of the pump and not out of the pump seal or the torque converter.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Latest update. I pulled the DTCs when I first bought the truck and stored that info in the back of my mind. I assumed these codes were probably something to do with the BD Torque Converter lockup that was installed and that may have been the case, but with the transmission acting up lately, I decided to come back to them and see if they could lead me anywhere.
20211025_102716.jpg
20211025_102722.jpg

After some quick forum reading, I found that the governor pressure solenoid and sensor are common failure points that can produce these codes and all kinds of crazy symptoms including the ones I'm having. I don't like throwing parts at stuff without doing at least some diagnostics but when its my own stuff and parts aren't that expensive, I don't care as much. So I purchased a new Borg Warner sensor and solenoid. They came in a kit, and it was only about $60. After work today I picked up a transmission filter and gasket and +4 ATF fluid.

I dropped the pan, and there was a bit more glitter than I hoped for (especially toward the middle of the pan, some of it was a bit coarse) but no big chunks.
20211214_152946.jpg

Old solenoid and sensor-
20211214_155941.jpg

New parts installed in the housing-
20211214_155945.jpg

Back in the transmission with a new Wix filter-
20211214_162936.jpg

And it took 5 quarts of ATF (and holy sh*t is +4 expensive) to fill it back up, but I drove it and got it up to temp and it is shifting great. No hard shifts and no refusing to go into third gear. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Unfortunately it is still leaking. It's coming from the bellhousing. Pan is dry, lines are dry.
20211214_184304.jpg

20211214_184259.jpg
20211214_184233.jpg

I have yet to remove the inspection cover but I assume it is either the torque converter seal or the pump seal. It only leaks when it is running. Either way, it's not a fun fix. You all know what it entails. I'll probably pop the inspection cover off next and see what it looks like inside.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That's why there's no rust under there.

• Agree
  • Haha
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, on the wiring. I bought the sensor kit with the wiring harness for my 42RE. Yeah, the torque converter or pump seal are both sucky to change.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I hate leaks as much as the next guy but sometimes you have to pick your battles. I worked at a place that ran a fleet of little Hysters from the late '60s and early '70s. All of them had minor oil leaks so they just made cardboard splash shields (called them diapers) and replaced them ever few weeks. Kept the warehouse floor clean and cost nothing. They lived with that system for decades.
Not sure how bad yours is leaking, but if it were mine and wasn't bad, I'd probably just keep a couple quarts of ATF under the seat and not park on the concrete. Maybe it won't get worse, maybe you'll have to eventually fix it. Time will tell.

• Agree
Nov 4, 2012
I hate leaks as much as the next guy but sometimes you have to pick your battles. I worked at a place that ran a fleet of little Hysters from the late '60s and early '70s. All of them had minor oil leaks so they just made cardboard splash shields (called them diapers) and replaced them ever few weeks. Kept the warehouse floor clean and cost nothing. They lived with that system for decades.
Not sure how bad yours is leaking, but if it were mine and wasn't bad, I'd probably just keep a couple quarts of ATF under the seat and not park on the concrete. Maybe it won't get worse, maybe you'll have to eventually fix it. Time will tell.
I totally agree, small leaks don't bother me at all. This isn't hemorrhaging, but it's not a small leak either. It leaves a half dollar sized spot after only a minute or two of idling. I might try dumping a bottle of Lucas transmission goop in it and crossing my fingers that it will slow the leak down. I've had good results from their power steering stop leak, so I'm gonna remain optimistic. It's a science experiment if nothing else.

Also f*ck Hysters.
20211215_093541.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The stop leak worked well enough on my 42RE that I rarely have to add ATF to my Dakota, it was pretty constant beforehand, hopefully does the same for you. The power steering stop leak didn't work as well. I don't feel like changing the pressure hose for a second time on my Dakota.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The Lucas PS stop leak wasn't cutting it on my dually, that's why I pulled down my pants and handed over $400 to Napa. Their transmission juice was magical in a worn out 700R4 many moons ago. We didn't use it to plug a leak though, so I can't speak to that. It stopped 1st gear from slipping for about a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor