My engine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Well my 87 SS's new heart transplant is in the build process at my engines guy's place. Wanted to see what some people thought of this combo, and if there was any better cam recommendations, which is the only thing not purchased yet. If you guys feel like shootin out some mind dyno numbers, let me have em!

4 bolt 350 .60 over
Scat Forged crank
Manley I beam Rods
SRP flat tops
Dart Iron Eagle 215's with some massaging. 64 cc. Manley valves, titanium retainers, Crane roller rockers. 1.6 on the intake, 1.5 exhaust
Comp XE294H 250/256 at .050 and .519/.523. 110 lobe separation
Holley Strip Dominator
Chokeless 750 Holley

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Wow that's a nice combo, what transmission and stall are you going to put behind it?

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
That should be a rowdy little 360 SBC. It probably will suffer a little down low as far as torque, but running a loose converter will help with that. It'll definitely like to turn RPM's with that cam a large head size, the only thing that I would've possible changed would be more compression to better work with the heads and cam. I've built some 355's with the XE284 and they're still pretty rough idling and ran hard, just depends on what street manners you want it to have. Still I think it will run hard for you.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
crotchss said:
That should be a rowdy little 360 SBC. It probably will suffer a little down low as far as torque, but running a loose converter will help with that. It'll definitely like to turn RPM's with that cam a large head size, the only thing that I would've possible changed would be more compression to better work with the heads and cam. I've built some 355's with the XE284 and they're still pretty rough idling and ran hard, just depends on what street manners you want it to have. Still I think it will run hard for you.

Thanks Chris. Ill talk to my engine guy to see what different head gaskets can gain us as far as compression goes. Im trying to watch it some with the iron heads and hopes of keeping it 93 friendly. Needless to say im real excited to get this thing together. BTW Thats one sweet looking Monte you have.

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
Does anybody here know about polishing combustion chambers to ease pump gas woes? Polishing just the chambers, and radiusing the deck edges will allow more intial spark timing, and reduce deiseling. Just asking because I don't see it discussed much. I've built up to 11:1 on pump gas, 16 deg on the tab, no desieling on a 66 327.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
my buddies nova has close to the same set up. were running a 3500-3800 stall on it. she loves the higher rpm and has a real nice rough idle to her. also it didn't like the 2.5? gears the car had. we swapped in some 4.10's and it's perfect now.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Dennyboy said:
my buddies nova has close to the same set up. were running a 3500-3800 stall on it. she loves the higher rpm and has a real nice rough idle to her. also it didn't like the 2.5? gears the car had. we swapped in some 4.10's and it's perfect now.

Im planning to run something around 3.90's when I get the rear built. Hopefully I will be impressed. Your buddy ever take his nova to the track?

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
no we havn't yet tracks are quite the drive. were planning on taking both our cars soon just trying to figure out transportation. we still need to work out traction on both cars both of us have to start from a 20 MPH roll so we don't spin.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
4.10s & small block or 3.73s and a big block. You should either invest in a truck n trailer or a well built overdrive & lock up converter. For traction lower control arms, air bag in the right rear, and drag radials or even soft compound recaps will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor