My Father's Oldsmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Hey, the bright side is that it's almost November, fun car season is done for a few months so you aren't out much enjoyment. MUCH better than nuking something on May 1st and having the fun car sit disassembled all summer. Knowing it's gotta come apart sucks along with the hit to the bank account, but it's winter and who knows how crappy this winter is going to be with lockdown stuff so it's a good project to work on :)

The other plus is that now you have less excuse as to not do that LS swap you have been thinking of :p

Seeing all these olds builds eat themselves kinda makes me second think my turbo DX build I want to do. 425 cranks aren't that common anymore and it seems the people who know how to make stuff hold up are few and far between, and getting more scarce.

Could be worse, it could be bent sheet metal!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't know what I'm going to do with it, been pretty depressed all day.
The rods are BMEs, and yes it is an offset ground 425 crank.

Been depressed more than once over sh*t not working out. Been there - I'm confident you'll come up with something.

My advice - tear it apart and make sure you know exactly what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again. Ask me sometime about crank and cam gear forward alignment on an aftermarket block such as a Motown LS. Cost my kid a cam, custom timing set and set of heads - something that I've never checked before, but I should have.

Live and learn, and maybe teach us along the way - my two cents.

Jim

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Oil pump drive is good. 3 broken rods and/or pistons and/or broken block. #8 plug is REALLY tight, 3 &6 will need Helicoils. The oil and water were still separate, so that's good....?
20201030_194433.jpg

20201030_183953.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Over-rev and let it go? Yikes.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Not good at all. I've seen a lot of people run aluminum rods in a street car over the years. I've even seen an aluminum rod 454 tow truck. I've heard all of the horror stories, but I've never seen one let go in a street car until now. Brutal.

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
How many miles did it have? Aluminum doesn’t have a fatigue limit like steel and will always fail, which now makes me wonder if that’s the reason you don’t see factory aluminum rods.

Sucks, man.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
How many miles did it have? Aluminum doesn’t have a fatigue limit like steel and will always fail, which now makes me wonder if that’s the reason you don’t see factory aluminum rods.

Sucks, man.
The builder talked to Bill Miller, and felt confident they would be fine. Now, that being said, this is at least the 3rd engine they've been in. Top Fuel and Top Alcohol almost exclusively use BME rods, so I figured if they can handle 5-10,000hp, my little 500 should be no problem . There i go thinking again. I should stop that. This engine has about 12k miles on it over 4 years (built in'15, sat last year).

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor