My Father's Oldsmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
He has better taste than putting a chebby in it. Glad this is moving forward.
I know that's why say put a Chevy in it gorgeous car said that!
Do knock Chevy engines for the time frame of the vintage year they out powered any BPO. 90%
% OF the time. not mention the availability of go fast parts. Their is a reason why Bruce still has 18 yr old eddy heads.. Olds go fast parts are expensive .and far inbetween

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I know that's why say put a Chevy in it gorgeous car said that!
Do knock Chevy engines for the time frame of the vintage year they out powered any BPO. 90%
% OF the time. not mention the availability of go fast parts. Their is a reason why Bruce still has 18 yr old eddy heads.. Olds go fast parts are expensive .and far inbetween
I run Olds, the SBO version because I can still grab STOCK mid 70's Olds 350 that run great, 40+ years old. The sbc 350's from those years sucked, flat cams, around 100,000 km and worn valve guides. We put on 300,000+ miles to 450,000 km on our Olds V8's back when these were on the road. Our family was broke and these cars were 10+ years old when we bought them. Same goes for the mighty TH350, I saw two die behind 160 hp Olds 350's, one had 123,000 miles and I paid $50 for the car because of it. Not impressed with them stock either. I will sell my Olds and buy another new Challenger before I put a chebby or LS in either of my Olds, no thanks.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Estimated ship date 1/27/2021 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-60515

I don't want to be just another schmuck with a Che*y engine; they're everywhere.
With manufacturing shutting down, this will be the new norm, huge wait on certain parts. Probably didn't help Edelbrock had a sale and sold most of their Olds inventory a few months back. Covid is finally getting to crisis level here, hopefully the machine shops don't shut down long term.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
Bruce thought you still had original block......
Then by all means good luck with that wheelie
Get that baby down to a 1.30 in the sixty mark, I guarantee you will see airtime....➡
I will sell my Olds and buy another new Challenger before I put a chebby or LS in either of my Olds, no thanks.
:) modern tec.....I hear you nothing wrong with that. I sold my Z after 30+ years I enjoyed the sh*t out of it .
I loved y stroker427 sbc 300+lbs lighter than and any BBC chevy BOP engine..... not making as much or equal hp but much heavier. "I tinkthey where called boat anchors"
I not trying Hi jack Bruces thread or get in confrontation....just saying and reading thru the last 6-10.
The man has the bug wants some air time!
I know that frame can handle it I cant say that for a real GBODY not one..without reinforcement and a general motors engine.....,Oh wait BUICK OLDSMOBILE PONTIAC are no more,
Heck I replaced my F body with a 79 cutlass supreme :) its sh*ting in the same place now that the Z did..
MY poor widdle 260. I have looked and looked for a intake for the little tiolet...cant find a 4 barral intake to stick in it to blow it up.
give me a reason to biuld another Dart or motown block.... the insurance are so cheap on a g body they know they have no balls......LOL
peace!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I disagree with just about everything said in the last two pages.

Steve ‘anti-SBC consortium’ G.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Bruce thought you still had original block......
Then by all means good luck with that wheelie
Get that baby down to a 1.30 in the sixty mark, I guarantee you will see airtime....➡

:) modern tec.....I hear you nothing wrong with that. I sold my Z after 30+ years I enjoyed the sh*t out of it .
I loved y stroker427 sbc 300+lbs lighter than and any BBC chevy BOP engine..... not making as much or equal hp but much heavier. "I tinkthey where called boat anchors"
I not trying Hi jack Bruces thread or get in confrontation....just saying and reading thru the last 6-10.
The man has the bug wants some air time!
I know that frame can handle it I cant say that for a real GBODY not one..without reinforcement and a general motors engine.....,Oh wait BUICK OLDSMOBILE PONTIAC are no more,
Heck I replaced my F body with a 79 cutlass supreme :) its sh*ting in the same place now that the Z did..
MY poor widdle 260. I have looked and looked for a intake for the little tiolet...cant find a 4 barral intake to stick in it to blow it up.
give me a reason to biuld another Dart or motown block.... the insurance are so cheap on a g body they know they have no balls......LOL
peace!
Yes, Buick, Olds and Pontiac is gone, along with their market dominance. GM is a shell of the company it was, its market share has gotten smaller and smaller. Soon the Camaro will be cancelled again, falling further behind the Mustang and Challenger. The sbc is heavy, the Buick, Olds and Cadillac V8 are all later thin wall castings, way lighter despite their larger dimensions. An iron Olds 350 is about the same weight as an iron sbc. The iron Buick 350 is way lighter, around 450 pounds. The Buick 455 is under 600 pounds. The Cad 500 is what 50 pounds heavier than a sbc and can go well over 500 ci. Why go sbc when you can boost a LS to the moon? Of course the sbc stuff is near free now thanks to the LS, nobody wants it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor