My Father's Oldsmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Tires all day long..... the frame is diamond (1 rail shifted), so the rear suspension goes like \ instead of I. I put Vista Cruiser coils in the back to keep the tire from rubbing. I think i was telling 500/600 that I may order up some coupe springs for racing to let it squat. If I'm swapping tires, what's 2 more bolts to change the rear springs? He also said his Nittos work well at 27-28psi. I started at 22, they got up to 24 with heat, and seemed to work better when I knocked them back to 20 hot. I don't know because I'm not consistent.
EDIT: coupe springs ordered..... Fusick lists the same rear spring from 61-87 for $165. G bodies are 78-87, so Moog 6319s from rockauto are on the way for $53 :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Jmo, there's to many variables in a street driven, manual shift car. You'd have to cage it and do frame work. You need to "love" the one you're with. It's like trying to make a super model into a working farm girl. Right now, you have a nice looking girlfriend but she's not going to be able to bale hay all day. The engine has the potential for mid elevens but as you said it needs upgrades. If you like drag racing a lot, get a automatic race only car. Jmo.

Reactions: 3 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Kind of on the subject. Drag racing is on the "ventilator." I saw Englishtown was doing away with drag racing. The biggest track in Ohio is 90 miles, all turnpike from me. Summit Raceway, Norwalk, Ohio, cancelled the entire season. First year I've missed the Oldsmobile meet, first The Mondello meet, then Dick Miller took over. This would have been Dicks 25 years. I have to admit I like Dragway 42 the best. New owner bought it about 9 years ago. He shut it down to fix it up supposed to be one year and a million dollars. Big trouble, had to move the whole dragstrip to the other side of property, $$$$$$, 5 years and 4 million later, when he was ready to open, local people fought to keep it closed. It's a little hard to get to but I try to go a couple times a year, hoping to keep him opened. Quaker City is closest to me but I like Thompson Raceway better. 40 miles north of me.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Tires all day long..... the frame is diamond (1 rail shifted), so the rear suspension goes like \ instead of I. I put Vista Cruiser coils in the back to keep the tire from rubbing. I think i was telling 500/600 that I may order up some coupe springs for racing to let it squat. If I'm swapping tires, what's 2 more bolts to change the rear springs? He also said his Nittos work well at 27-28psi. I started at 22, they got up to 24 with heat, and seemed to work better when I knocked them back to 20 hot. I don't know because I'm not consistent.
EDIT: coupe springs ordered..... Fusick lists the same rear spring from 61-87 for $165. G bodies are 78-87, so Moog 6319s from rockauto are on the way for $53 :popcorn:
How's the alignment? Asking because if if it drives straight, then the frame can be worked around. Regarding your Nitto's - they take alot of downplay from the racing community, but that was what we ran with at dragweek and they worked just fine. They also street drive pretty well and you can get some mileage out if them. I'd recommend setting them to the same pressure until you can get the launch dialed in so as to take the tires out of the loop.

Seen this as well, Drag Week was supposed to go there. They are looking for another venue is what I've been told. But I am concerned that it will get postponed. And ventilator is definitely an understatement. I was hoping to have been at a track 4-6 times by now, but as it looks next weekend will be the first chance. Have to keep the faith that something will turn out OK :)

Reactions: 4 users

Johnse31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2020
Just figured I'd throw this out there. My screen name comes from the 67 442 in my Avatar. The story goes like this: allegedly, my dad ordered a brand new 67 442 from City Olds 'round about getting out of high school. I've heard multiple stories of how the gearheads that used to hang out at the gas station he worked at molested his brand new car with 14 miles on it. It was supposedly a terror on the streets of Sykesville. Then, he got married, mom got pregnant with me, she couldn't drive a stick, and he traded the 442 in on a 71 Malibu, 307/'glide. FFWD to 1984. I was 12, and dad decided he needed a car like he used to have. He found a basket case for $700 about 3hrs down the road. I remember him and my uncle going to pick it up (maybe I was there?). The car was supposedly a get away car in an armed robbery, the father was selling it for the son that was in jail. I helped him with it here and there, got a case of the @$$ at 18, moved out, and reconvened about 10 years later. Since we got it on the road in 2001, I bought the house that came with the car, dumped a ton of money into it, and dad is scared to drive it.

More to come.....
Is there anyway you can help me out ??? If you r 442 is a automatic on the floor I really need the measurements from the firewall where it meets the floor back to where the shifter mount bolts are. And then again from the firewall to the front and rear console mounting brackets should go ???? Thank you and by the way awesome 442

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Beaver Springs 7/25

Come on

I'll be there or be square - I put you on my calendar. :):)

Any chance of seeing Ben there?

p.s hopefully Monte Alban doesn't disappoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor