BuckeyeNewYorker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2020
Wiring Harness Part 1

Starting on the harness today!

IMG_20200705_142131.jpg

IMG_20200705_142145.jpg

What I speculate :
It is a 99-03 DBW, supposedly unmodified LS1 harness that came with the motor. Auto trans, EGR, evap, emissions stuff still connected. Seems untouched.
I think that the computer also had a VATS delete. it came with a label saying "01 LS1 clone 4l60"
someone already labelled everything. which is nice.

What I need to do:
delete unneeded wires/sensors (seems easy, cut and remove)
convert to DBC, manual trans, standalone harness
figure out how to run fuses / fuse box for standalone.
figure out how to run relays

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That kind of stuff scares me. I harvested the harness myself, so I could tag all the unnecessary stuff. Cut it at the door jambs and got everything forward.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they had dbw from 99-03. I don't think the pcm's had the capability to run it either

Reactions: 2 users

BuckeyeNewYorker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2020
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they had dbw from 99-03. I don't think the pcm's had the capability to run it either
Interesting. Well I have a cable throttle body, and this harness looks like it has IAC and TPS sensors, which I might just leave on in case I find a DBW throttle body.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Interesting. Well I have a cable throttle body, and this harness looks like it has IAC and TPS sensors, which I might just leave on in case I find a DBW throttle body.
Keep in mind if you run a DBW throttle body, you'll need an associated harness and ECM, as well as modify the stock pedal to work with DBW.

BuckeyeNewYorker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2020
Keep in mind if you run a DBW throttle body, you'll need an associated harness and ECM, as well as modify the stock pedal to work with DBW.
So since this is a junkyard harness, would it be best to just tailor it to exactly what I have now? Is there any value in leaving extra connectors (i.e. auto trans, drive by wire stuff, etc)? I have no idea if there's a resale value on these.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So since this is a junkyard harness, would it be best to just tailor it to exactly what I have now? Is there any value in leaving extra connectors (i.e. auto trans, drive by wire stuff, etc)? I have no idea if there's a resale value on these.
Yeah, and no not much of a resale since they're are literally thousands available. I have a stock LM7 harness in a bag downstairs that's hacked into a standalone. It scared me, so I bought an aftermarket harness built for my setup. Wasn't cheap, but peace of mind is worth it.
I started out with a "budget" LS swap, got a fresh short block for $350 with some accessories. Then did a cam and valves, junkyard heads worked over, junkyard 4L80E that I installed a shift kit and billet converter, and the budget went out the window. Ended up with this NA setup until the eventual boosty time...
20200413_203909.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm not an expert at this, but have a friend that does several of these a month. IIRC, you need to determine what ECM you have and what it's capable of before you start building your harness. You mentioned your harness has a DBW connector and IAC and TPS plugs? I don't think that is possible if it's unmolested, but I could be mistaken. Either way, you have to an ECM that uses one or the other. Some ECM's cannot be converted and others can. From what I gather, once you know what you want to do, then it's much more of a downhill battle. But at this point I would recommend modifying the harness until your 100% sure of DBW vs cable and transmission choice/control.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
99-02 P01 harnesses came in DBW in
All C5 vettes
01-02 traction control GMT800 trucks/suv's

I have an 02 denali harness with a silver ls2 DBW TB. You need the plastic TAC (throttle actuation module) and correct early DBW pedal.

The DBW stuff is nice to run for cruise but it does have it's issues. Mine has a random limp mode issue from time to time that I can't nail down. If I were to do it again I would go DBC. I went DBW to run a ford throttle body on my GT500 blower that never worked out and kinda boxed myself into a corner on DBW.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
Yeah, and no not much of a resale since they're are literally thousands available. I have a stock LM7 harness in a bag downstairs that's hacked into a standalone. It scared me, so I bought an aftermarket harness built for my setup. Wasn't cheap, but peace of mind is worth it.
I started out with a "budget" LS swap, got a fresh short block for $350 with some accessories. Then did a cam and valves, junkyard heads worked over, junkyard 4L80E that I installed a shift kit and billet converter, and the budget went out the window. Ended up with this NA setup until the eventual boosty time... View attachment 151007
This looks great, exactly what I am trying for with my El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor