my first post please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
i have a 1983 cutlass supreme that i just bought last week. its a v6 with 3.8l 231 engine and im tryin to find out if theres any do it yourself mods i can do to the engine for better preformance. im also looking for a site that sells headers or a site for the v6 g-body cars. i dont care what it is as long as its preformance spit it out.....thanks guys

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
most cam companies sell cams for v6's and edelbrock sells intakes, GM sells all the stuff also. alll the internal parts from V8's will work as it is basically a 305 with the two front cylinders cut off. a mold stall, some gear, a shift kit , intake cam and headers an you will like it.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
Summit racing also offers alot of parts and are very good with service. But there is several things you can do the car to improve the performance. A new carb would also be a good addition. For now i would stick with doing upgrades on the outside of the engine instead of doing vavles and cams and such

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
First a little clarification on your engine. A 3.8 is a buick design motor. It is not a Chevy small block with 2 cylinders cut off. That would be a 4.3 which is a 350 with 2 missing cylinders. That said, how much do you want to spend and how much performance do you want?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You're right, The Buick 3.8lt engine is a 231 cubic inch, and the 4.3lt Chev V6 is a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off. But Chevrolet did make a 3.8lt V6-it is a 229 cibic inch V6, and it is the precursor of the 4.3lt V6.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome, IMHO, I think the best mods for you is, new rear end gearing, maybe some bent up duals, leave the manifolds on, and save up for a 8cyl engine. In Super Chevy they did some dyno tests, and apparently you pick up some power by doing an open element air filter swap opposed to the snorkel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor