My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks guys, these tires made a world of difference in how the truck rides. Much smoother and quieter.

I agree the front needs to be lifted up a little bit, I'm not in a rush to do it, but from what I've read, Moog 844 coil springs or polyurethane spring spacers are the best way to do it.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I wouldnt mess around with the front end of that thing. They are stupid TTB front suspension systems. Never ending game of spring sag, adjustable upper ball joint, lame handling in transition, and worn tire misery awaits you.

Nov 4, 2012
I wouldnt mess around with the front end of that thing. They are stupid TTB front suspension systems. Never ending game of spring sag, adjustable upper ball joint, lame handling in transition, and worn tire misery awaits you.

I actually kinda like the TTB setup. They get a lot of hate, but there are a lot of misconceptions about them. Four wheeler did a pretty good article on them a few years back and I've grown to like them a lot since reading it and driving a few of them. I much prefer it over the full IFS that was on my GMT400 trucks. Here's the article, it's a decent read if you are interested.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/s...ronco-long-travel-basics-dont-scrap-that-ttb/

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
wish my 97 f250 looked as nice as yours.i replaced the drivers rockers,floor,cab support,and radiator support and fender last spring.this year i have to do the passengers side.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I actually kinda like the TTB setup. They get a lot of hate, but there are a lot of misconceptions about them. Four wheeler did a pretty good article on them a few years back and I've grown to like them a lot since reading it and driving a few of them. I much prefer it over the full IFS that was on my GMT400 trucks. Here's the article, it's a decent read if you are interested.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/s...ronco-long-travel-basics-dont-scrap-that-ttb/

That's a decent read, thanks.

I'll stick with my initial assessment of that suspension design however. In a modified performance application it has some benefits. In a daily driver it's got too many moving parts.

I have the 3/4 ton version that is the height of dorkdom. Let's take a suspension that moves in an arc then slap really wide leaf springs to it that don't move like that. Rides like a bale wagon and wears out tires like it's cool.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
That's a decent read, thanks.

I'll stick with my initial assessment of that suspension design however. In a modified performance application it has some benefits. In a daily driver it's got too many moving parts.

I have the 3/4 ton version that is the height of dorkdom. Let's take a suspension that moves in an arc then slap really wide leaf springs to it that don't move like that. Rides like a bale wagon and wears out tires like it's cool.

I agree the leaf sprung setup doesn't make any sense for the TTB. I understand how the coil sprung version makes some sense, but the leaf sprung setup is definitely odd.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
wish my 97 f250 looked as nice as yours.i replaced the drivers rockers,floor,cab support,and radiator support and fender last spring.this year i have to do the passengers side.

Thanks, I've been there done that with the floors, cab supports, rockers and rad support. The cab supports are a PIA to replace. Good luck with yours.

Nov 4, 2012
It actually felt a little bit like spring today, it was sunny and in the high 50s. So I played in the driveway. I got underneath and removed some stuff that was rattling. The heat shield on the catalytic converter was rattling against the transfer case, and there was a bolt for the long-gone spare tire carrier that was rattling around.

I also threw the cap back on, it's been leaning against my neighbor's garage since I began the project. I removed the ripped screens from the side windows and greased up the tracks. It still leaks some, I have to see if Leer still makes the seals for it. Not sure if I'm gonna leave it on the truck or not.

I used a jack to lift up the front end to see how it would look with a leveling kit, and to see how high it needs to go to look right. It needs to come up about 3.5" to be level with the back. I'm not in any rush to do this but it definitely looks better with the front up some. The 31" tires already lift it up 3/4" from where it was, and it appears a previous owner already installed 2.5" lift blocks in the rear.

I finished up the day by washing it for the first time since I've owned it. I washed, clayed and waxed it. There was a ton of overspray still on it from being parked in a body shop for several months. I noticed it is starting to get some of it's first scratches and chips, which I knew was going to happen sooner or later as I begin to drive it more and more. I still have to clay and wax the roof because I didn't want to get the step ladder out to do it.

Here's a picture with the front lifted up with a jack so you can see how it would look leveled out-

IMG_20180331_155447802-2672x2004.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
In between the snow and the rain today I replaced the bad fan clutch and the IAC valve.

It now idles SOOO much better and doesn't sound like a helicopter is landing in the bed when you go above 40 mph. I also bought parts for my differential to fix the axle end play. I bought Ford Racing M4700B clutch kit, an replacement S spring, and an extra bottle of friction modifier. I thought maybe there was some play in the spider gears, but I think my eyes were messing with me. Anyways I'll be installing that kit maybe this weekend and see if I can get rid of my clunking noise.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor