My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Took a casual walk around a used car lot yesterday, place called Carsense, they sell newer, lower mileage cars with a decent warranty. It's not the shady used car lot on the corner.

Just about everything except the aluminum F150s had bubbles coming through the paint around the wheel arches or the rockers. Most were in the 2013 range.

I think Darin has the right idea, if I want something other than a pop can F150, I need to look a few hundred miles south.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Took a casual walk around a used car lot yesterday, place called Carsense, they sell newer, lower mileage cars with a decent warranty. It's not the shady used car lot on the corner.

Just about everything except the aluminum F150s had bubbles coming through the paint around the wheel arches or the rockers. Most were in the 2013 range.

I think Darin has the right idea, if I want something other than a pop can F150, I need to look a few hundred miles south.
Did you forget where you live? I stopped at TSC for dag food, and saw a "newer" Silverado with the wheel arches GONE in the bed. No wonder there are so many LS out there; the trucks surrounding them rotted away!

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Dad's 6.9 IDI 1 ton gets 11-10 mpg empty (I guess as empty as a service truck with generator, air comp. and torch can get), towing 7000 lbs, at 55mph or 70mph. It literally doesn't care, lol. It won't go up slight hills towing anything much faster than 60mph though because, well. NA IDI.

Maybe part of the reason I am trying to convince you to not get rid of yours is because I have been around these 80's/90's F series since I was a kid and seeing a nice one is heartwarming (for lack of a better word).
1606747390049.png

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
Did you forget where you live? I stopped at TSC for dag food, and saw a "newer" Silverado with the wheel arches GONE in the bed. No wonder there are so many LS out there; the trucks surrounding them rotted away!

Yeah it's nuts. They want $20k for a truck that needs wheel arches and rockers. It's pathetic.

I shot two spray cans of fluid film underneath this thing yesterday. I haven't had it professionally sprayed this year and its supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow.

Dad's 6.9 IDI 1 ton gets 11-10 mpg empty (I guess as empty as a service truck with generator, air comp. and torch can get), towing 7000 lbs, at 55mph or 70mph. It literally doesn't care, lol. It won't go up slight hills towing anything much faster than 60mph though because, well. NA IDI.

Maybe part of the reason I am trying to convince you to not get rid of yours is because I have been around these 80's/90's F series since I was a kid and seeing a nice one is heartwarming (for lack of a better word).
View attachment 163166

I can appreciate that. It just pains me to see rust popping back through in spots because it was such a labor of love to get it where it is. But at the same time I hate to park for half the year just to avoid salt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Drove it to work this morning in the snow for the first time. Salt truck passed me going the other way and hit me with some salt spray. I felt that in my soul. Lol.

The roads were slippery and the truck did better than I expected.

Limited slip, 5 speed and good tires probably contribute to that. Glad I fixed the ABS back in the spring too.

IMG_20201201_045522956_copy_2137x1603.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Nov 4, 2012
If you're rocking the wee 235/75/15 it should do great in the snow.
I've got 31s on it, just a hair bigger. Kumho Road Venture AT51s, they are 3PMSF rated, so they should be a good snow tire.

Feels weird driving it but can't lie its kinda fun to drive in the snow.

IMG_20201201_112151625_copy_2137x1603.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor