My long term build

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
More forward motion. I started with a truck pedal but I quickly realized that wouldn't work. I got a pedal from a cts-v and repinned the harness to work. But that left fabricating a mounting bracket. I started work on one but while browsing another forum I came across the scarebird bracket. Turns out it works without any welding.

Then I finally got around to installing the megashifter I used in the car during its last iteration.

Next up i got a cover for the dash made by accuform. Not impressed by it. It fits like crap around the bezels, defrost vents and the glovebox and after it sat for a few days after trying to make it fit it properly it cracked around the right bezel.

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Long time no update. I managed to screw up my back and ankle badly enough that I could do a whole lot. I did go on a parts buying spree though. After many visits to the ciropractor, I'm finally doing OK but I am not moving very fast.
But for now, I tightened everything up on the front suspension. Then I moved on to getting rid of those terrible drums.

Better..

Hello beautiful

The job is actually really easy. I cut the upper section off and realized the bottom bolt holes for the drum backing plates were dead center of the bottom bolts for the camaro brackets. I drilled them out, verified it was in fact centered on the axle and then clamped it down and did the top two.
Next up i pulled the rear end again and got it ready to go off to a shop to have the new eaton posi installed, and I threw the new Moser axles in it so I didn't have to drag home the originals later.
While the rear differential was out for the last time, I put the new umi control arms and braces in

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow that was rough and great work so far. I like the BMW and Subaru. Is the trans a 4L65E? They suck no matter how much they are built, just like a 7.5" if you get traction, kaboom:).

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
That's an impressive list of mods. It seems once those E30's take hold you cant be rid of them. Impressed by the diet you have it on as well. A former Co-worker bought an 89 - 2 door E30 in 96 or so and he still has it. Its now a fair weather DD but really set up for track days with a small cage, harness and a bunch of suspension and brake mods. Engine is "mostly" stock with only a cam and head work done. LOL he even gave up some stuff in the divorce in order to keep the car so it must have some love in his eyes.

Good luck with the build !

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
That's an impressive list of mods. It seems once those E30's take hold you cant be rid of them. Impressed by the diet you have it on as well. A former Co-worker bought an 89 - 2 door E30 in 96 or so and he still has it. Its now a fair weather DD but really set up for track days with a small cage, harness and a bunch of suspension and brake mods. Engine is "mostly" stock with only a cam and head work done. LOL he even gave up some stuff in the divorce in order to keep the car so it must have some love in his eyes.

Good luck with the build !
Mine is actually a E21, but the love affair is the same. It was underpowered once but not anymore. Once the camino is done ill probably switch it over to megasquirt, and put coilovers and rear disk brakes on it and switch from the 3.91 rear gears to a more realistic 3.45. 3.91 was fine when it had 80 hp, but im 4 or 5 times that now.

Is it worth it to throw the stock parts up for sale from the camino? Ive got a pile of brake parts, springs, control arms and front and rear sway bars.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
CL is free to try and flog your old stuffs. 99% of mine goes in scrap pile when I upgrade

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Any of the clutch parts?
Anything I couldn't replace i will hold on to. I might put the original control arms and sway bars up for sale at some point.

3 steps forward 5 back. I put my front brakes on as a dry run without pads. Everything fit pretty good so I got into installing my pre bent brake lines from Inline tube. Put fluid in the master and voila, Niagara Falls. Brake fluid everywhere. Take a closer look at the flare at the master for the front brakes and it looks like crap. I cut the flare off and re flare it. Huge pain. I didn't buy stainless lines but they sure flared like they were. Now the line looks like garbage. I bought pre bent lines so they would look nice. At least now the line isn't pouring fluid everywhere.
I move on the the flexible lines while I let the new hard lines gravity bleed. Again Niagara Falls. I got stainless flexible lines from the same company. They screw theirs together, something I have never seen on stainless lines before, and every connection is loose. I tighten all those up, and while I am on the drivers side I notice the passenger side is literally pouring fluid. Thinking maybe I forgot to tighten the bleeder after gravity bleeding it is run over only to find every connection is tight. But the braided line feels loose at the caliper connection. I give it a wiggle to see if I can see something and it snaps in my hand. I get the leak stopped and promptly write the company a email via their main site. That was Sunday afternoon. No response. I sent them a email via ebay yesterday. Still, no response. Before I blast them on the old Intrawebs I want to give them a chance to do the right thing.

Good stuff though, I put in a new heater and evaporator core

Got the new fancy dual core camaro radiator and 134a condenser installed with a factory camaro dual fan. I have a truck fan and the pcm is programmed to control it but it just barely won't fit. So I went with a camaro fan and radiator to simplify things.

That's all for now. Rear diff is getting rebuilt and I'll hopefully have it back today. I have a driveshaft out of a s10 that I think will work ready to go. I took Friday off and plan on getting the car moving under its own power by sunday assuming the company I bought the lines from does the right thing and at least sends me out 2 new lines asap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor