My Newest Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was going to build a SBC for my next project and was slowly acquiring parts while looking for a car but I ended up buying this to use the drivetrain for my future project figuring it will save me money in the long run since this is supposed to be a budget build.
I am not really into old 4 doors but this car is kind of fun.
!983 Buick Lesbare from the second owner and repainted about 7 years ago the body is pretty solid and they installed a 3.23 gear in the rear.
Drivetrain specs:
355 SBC 4 bolt main with forged Speed Pro pistons and factory steel crank and rods with ARP bolts.
Edelbrock Performer RPM 64 cc aluminum heads and RPM Air Gap intake with a little Holley 600 vac secondary carb.
Summit aluminum water pump, roller rockers and fuel pump and came with Comp Cams pushrods and an Isky hydraulic cam and lifters.
MSD 6A with Mallory coil, distributor and wires.
Hooker comp headers 2451 ( which fit Gbody) and 2.25 full exhaust with Hooker Aerochamber mufflers.
Rebuilt 350C trans with higher stall convertor, shift kit and manual/ automatic valve body and a switch to lock up the convertor.
(9) Autometer Pro Comp gauges with 4 being liquid filled and there is also an AFR gauge with a switch to see either side.
New battery and alternator. A larger copper/ brass radiator with a factory 05 Mustang electric fan

The car has Cragar 15 x 8 rims with 4.75 bolt pattern and he also gave me a set of ARE black steel rims with tires plus a set of 4 loose tires all the tires are BFG 245/60R15.
I was also given the following items with the car:
A good header panel and grill and a nice rear B-body bumper that is not an exact fit for this car.
A set of new chrome side mirrors (pass has remote)
Misc NOS Buick and Lesabre emblems and hood ornaments.
NOS marker lights and dash bezel.
A new in box 05-08 Mustang electric fan and a pair of new bumper guards.

This thing runs very strong and the trans shifts great and roasts (the tire) at will.
My plan for now is to do maintenance and make some new brackets for the engine and some time later next year find the project car that this will go in.
I paid what I thought was a fair price of $1800 for everything so I am hoping to knock that price down further by selling all the extras first and then decide what to do with the chassis. If my next car has a good running 305 I will swap that in or maybe find one somewhere I hate to have to strip the car and sell it as a rolling chassis especially since the previous owner loved this car.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 348

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have always had a soft spot for those cars because my grand parents had one since before I was born and they are the perfect sleeper cars!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I sold the Cragars for $250, they were driver quality at best, some had been polished so much you could see the copper tint showing through.
So I installed the ARE steel rims that also came with the car just to keep it mobile.
I am almost thinking about fixing a few things on the car and detailing the crap out of the engine bay to look like a show car, well at least when you open the hood.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I sold the Cragars for $250, they were driver quality at best, some had been polished so much you could see the copper tint showing through.
So I installed the ARE steel rims that also came with the car just to keep it mobile.
I am almost thinking about fixing a few things on the car and detailing the crap out of the engine bay to look like a show car, well at least when you open the hood.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Nice !!!
My Dad had a car almost identical to that except for he colour...
Guy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I finally found what I thought was a good priced project, it's an 85 Regal with 97,000 miles all original with a v6 with a rod knock.
Up to a few months ago it sat in a garage since 97' All in all it's pretty clean and everything is there.
I paid $1300 and $25 for the guy to deliver it about 20 miles.
The Lesabre will be donating it's drivetrain for this car.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, a Buick engine would be nice but the SBC in the Lesabre runs and drives great and for the price I couldn't beat it and I hardly ever see BOP engines for sale around here and if you do they need a full rebuild and then some.
I am also keeping the AC and I will make brackets to keep it mounted on the passenger side like it is now, I never liked that the SBC had those long hoses going to the wrong side of the car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well I just bought another project an 1986 Regal with 93,000 miles fully loaded and even the power antenna works it has a decent running stock 307 4 barrel with a 200R4 that shifts perfectly.
I think I will put the blue on the backburner for a while or maybe even sell it.
I like that this one is a hardtop already and I won't have to convert it to one other than welding up the opera light holes plus I can drive it while I work on it.

CardboardHero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2011
Nice find. If you have no use for the opera lights, I may know a guy who would be interested in making a deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor