My Olds 1987 442 and trying to dig up info

sealevel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2023
Greeting Gbody friends!
Here I have a 1987 442 that I bought from a friend back in 89, wife's primary ride from FL to MIA for work, retired it for a surburban on the that run, moved to CO, never seen snow, garaged and comes out every month for a wiggle around. From what I have seen she's not that common, astro roof, factory wing, factory air shocks, etc built in canada. Have been digging around for any info
I can find on her, attaching a couple of pics and the option tag from the trunk.
Happy saturday everyone,
Mark

Attachments

• 20180812_103944.jpg
    20180812_103944.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • 20190505_185148.jpg
    20190505_185148.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 20230609_134525.jpg
    20230609_134525.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: 4 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Greeting Gbody friends!
Here I have a 1987 442 that I bought from a friend back in 89, wife's primary ride from FL to MIA for work, retired it for a surburban on the that run, moved to CO, never seen snow, garaged and comes out every month for a wiggle around. From what I have seen she's not that common, astro roof, factory wing, factory air shocks, etc built in canada. Have been digging around for any info
I can find on her, attaching a couple of pics and the option tag from the trunk.
Happy saturday everyone,
Mark
Look under the back seat, should have the info if the paper can be carefully removed 😎🤘🤘🤘

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Don’t know much on where your car may have went over the years but I can tell you for positive that the car was built in Pontiac,MI. The P plant code is in the VIN. All 86 and 87 442s were built there. There’s no Z49 RPO so it wasn’t even sent to Canada originally.

Additionally, no 80s 442 ever got a factory deck wing. Didn’t happen. That was added by someone else after the car was delivered.

From the SPID sticker it does look like it was well equipped, but noticed it didn’t come with G80 limited slip. That would be kinda neat. Oh, and all 84-87 VIN 9 cars had air shocks standard.

Did you try a google search for your VIN? Sometimes it may turn up something.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh. My bad. I misread your post as you were trying to find an old car you had. I re-read it and realized you still have it. Regardless, everything else I mentioned still holds true.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Also, look at the cowl tag under the driver side wiper blade. Upper LH corner will have a letter H for 1987 followed by a two digit month number filled by another letter for the week. This is the scheduled build week. May need a flashlight since it’s up under the lower windshield trim.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
That's a nice car with a well done post delivery wing. It just screams needing SSIII rims...

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Very nice, I actually went to the motor vehicle bureau and got a history report for my car using the vin, they wouldn’t give me names but told me where it’s been registered and how many times it was resold. I also agree that the original rims would look good, kinda sets it off as a 442. I have an 87 I’m restoring and it will have the hurst olds hood scoop, rear spoiler and lightning rods when finished. Great to see yours also.

sealevel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2023
Also, look at the cowl tag under the driver side wiper blade. Upper LH corner will have a letter H for 1987 followed by a two digit month number filled by another letter for the week. This is the scheduled build week. May need a flashlight since it’s up under the lower windshield trim.
Very nice, I actually went to the motor vehicle bureau and got a history report for my car using the vin, they wouldn’t give me names but told me where it’s been registered and how many times it was resold. I also agree that the original rims would look good, kinda sets it off as a 442. I have an 87 I’m restoring and it will have the hurst olds hood scoop, rear spoiler and lightning rods when finished. Great to see yours also.
Thanks guys for all that great info! It rolled off the lot with its wing, if its not factory sure looks like it, will pop a couple of pics later, this is her vin - 1G3GR1197HP311032, and yeah, duh, my 1995 K1500 came from up north. Will sneak up under the back seat and see what else may be there. Happy Sunday.
Mark

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Based on your VIN I’m going to guess your car was built in February 87. Date should be on the door jamb sticker if it’s still there.

sealevel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2023
Based on your VIN I’m going to guess your car was built in February 87. Date should be on the door jamb sticker if it’s still there.
In the decades I've had it and always cleaning the doors, only the option decal is still there... :-(

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor