My Olds 1987 442 and trying to dig up info

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just a guess but maybe a Lauren Engineering wing?
Maybe. Not 100% sure I remember that well on what Lauren Egineering made. I was under the impression they made a complete fiberglass H/O style wing with the spacers "built in" and formed with the rest of the legs. Gave it the "looks like it's a separate piece but isn't" look.

Keep in mind, too, that there were other wings out there that were sort of generic wings that resembled the H/O wings of the day.

This fact is for sure. There were NO factory-supplied rear deck wings on any production 1980s Cutlass. I'm being technical here on purpose as there were always engineering group who put all kinds of junk on the cars for testing. The H/O wing still does not count because it didn't leave the factory with those, but indeed, were added at the C&C (Hurst) Tier 1 supplier facility down the road. Jury's still out on the LV2 and Cutlass GT spoiler versions as I don't think they were done at Tier 1 supplier facilities. I'm not sure it was a GM-wide contract that controlled those.

Although, I wouldn't contradict anyone who stated that the 83/84 H/O came from the factory with the wing. Hurst and whatever vendors they used to fabricate and make the Hurst-specific parts and supplied those to GMSPO. So yeah, that's how you could buy Hurst specific parts through GM and IIRC, all the parts were warranted through the GM warranty and parts stashed in GM warehouses. 84 W40 could probably pipe in and discuss the G-body H/O warranties further and with better authority, but I didn't see anywhere in the 83/84 H/O literature or GM literature that C&C was not required to provide any parts and/or service support by themselves.

I say this, because when Chevy did it with the Camaro SS/Firebird Firehawk program in the 90s, the 3year/36,000 mile warranty was covered by GM for GM stuff, and if it was an SLP-supplied part issue installed at their facility, SLP would partner with the local GM dealers to warranty the part separately from GM.

Reactions: 2 users

sealevel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2023
Maybe. Not 100% sure I remember that well on what Lauren Egineering made. I was under the impression they made a complete fiberglass H/O style wing with the spacers "built in" and formed with the rest of the legs. Gave it the "looks like it's a separate piece but isn't" look.

Keep in mind, too, that there were other wings out there that were sort of generic wings that resembled the H/O wings of the day.

This fact is for sure. There were NO factory-supplied rear deck wings on any production 1980s Cutlass. I'm being technical here on purpose as there were always engineering group who put all kinds of junk on the cars for testing. The H/O wing still does not count because it didn't leave the factory with those, but indeed, were added at the C&C (Hurst) Tier 1 supplier facility down the road. Jury's still out on the LV2 and Cutlass GT spoiler versions as I don't think they were done at Tier 1 supplier facilities. I'm not sure it was a GM-wide contract that controlled those.

Although, I wouldn't contradict anyone who stated that the 83/84 H/O came from the factory with the wing. Hurst and whatever vendors they used to fabricate and make the Hurst-specific parts and supplied those to GMSPO. So yeah, that's how you could buy Hurst specific parts through GM and IIRC, all the parts were warranted through the GM warranty and parts stashed in GM warehouses. 84 W40 could probably pipe in and discuss the G-body H/O warranties further and with better authority, but I didn't see anywhere in the 83/84 H/O literature or GM literature that C&C was not required to provide any parts and/or service support by themselves.

I say this, because when Chevy did it with the Camaro SS/Firebird Firehawk program in the 90s, the 3year/36,000 mile warranty was covered by GM for GM stuff, and if it was an SLP-supplied part issue installed at their facility, SLP would partner with the local GM dealers to warranty the part separately from GM.
Wow, all great data, and I got the back seat out, unfortunately its just a doc for the seat itself :-(

Attachments

• 20230613_150431.jpg
    20230613_150431.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It's possible a build sheet could be hiding on the headliner. My '81 Monte (Leeds plant) had one on top of the original headliner, Did find a second one on the original gas tank but nature did it in.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wow, all great data, and I got the back seat out, unfortunately its just a doc for the seat itself :-(
Yeah...but did you see what I see?

An actual date. 01/19 (1987). That's when the seat was assembled or scheduled to be assembled by the seat department. Usually the cars were built within 2 weeks of when the VIN was issued. So.......

Late January or early February build. Narrows it down. Since you don't seem interested in getting us any cowl tag data. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009

In regards of OP rear spoiler it's definitely an aftermarket just like 69Hurstolds pointed out, too me it looks like a spoiler that was used on the Olds Cutlass GT.That spoiler was added on the car a year later and I will tell why. If that car came off the lot new with a spoiler it would have an original H/O on it. An olds dealer has access to H/O parts, they rather install an NOS than an aftermarket due to warranty. You would be amazed how many people would come to dealer l worked at Olds and Buick and purchase H/O scoops, spoiler , Vin 9 exhaust and front air dams.

The amount of people coming in buying those parts the owner of the dealership had an idea and it worked. He took 3 brand new 1987 442's added rear spoiler, hood scoop and front air dams paint to match put them back on the lot. All 3 cars were sold in 2 days just because it had those items on the car. Yes you can buy H/O parts at the dealership and it did come with a warranty just like any other part but body parts like a spoiler or hood scoop warranty was voided if installed incorrectly.

Back then 80s to early 90s there was so many companies making hoods scoops, rear spoilers ground effects for gbodys and other cars. Some of them did look like an H/O piece but there were differences.

First time seeing a Cutlass GT was back in 1989 at a car show. What I did notice about the rear spoiler was it was thinner and taller than an original H/O. There was another difference between the two spoilers that I noticed back then, look at the pictures can you see the difference

ebay141989906627101.jpg
1984-oldsmobile-hurst.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
After all this, we still aren't sure what's under the wiper arm under the hood.

I just went out and attempted to take a pic of mine. It was built H 04 C, which is 1987, April, third week.

After that you see GR47, meaning 2 door Supreme, then P, for Pontiac build plant.

Under that, there's 31L, 12M, and 31U, which the 31 is teal blue metallic, and the 12M is for the lower body color. The stupid thing about the L and the U is for Lower and Upper body color, to which normally the 2 tone cars had lower color up to the top of the fenders normally. So for whatever reason they made a mid color of 12 to delineate the silver. Kinda silly. It only lists upper and lower on the SPID label in the trunk.

Under that is the interior color code, 27E (blue cloth velour). And then A51, which is for the non-reclining buckets

Then you can see the 442, which is obvious.

87 442 Cowl Tag 04C.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor