Narrowed rear end, how much narrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Thinking of having a 9" built but have some questions. I run a 8" wide wheel with a 255 tire currently on a 12 bolt. The rear is wider than stock so I have to use wheels with a lot of backspacing. What have you guys used that tucks the tires nicely? Thank you in advance

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thinking of having a 9" built but have some questions. I run a 8" wide wheel with a 255 tire currently on a 12 bolt. The rear is wider than stock so I have to use wheels with a lot of backspacing. What have you guys used that tucks the tires nicely? Thank you in advance
There's no one right answer. Some like blondes.... some like brunettes.
So, if you want a deeper look (dish/lip) the increased narrowing comes into play or for a more centered hub it requires less.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Agree with scoti on this one. Only other thing to pay attention to what offset/backspacing you'll end up needing. They make a lot of them, but in some rims they may not make the backspacing you need. So it would require custom wheels which means $$$

Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is easier to answer if you already have the wheels picked out? Stock width will work with 15x10 (in a Malibu) with the frame notched to the seam. That will work with a 10 inch wheel with 5.5 backspace. The seam is even with the factory inner wheel tub on Malibus and most G-body coupes. Now, that said, other cars have different shaped wheel openings. Wagons and El Caminos have the largest wheel wells. An El Camino will take a 15x10 with a 4.5 backspace with a stock G-body width rearend (58 inches wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface).

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor