Need a quick answer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
It doesn't matter if it's a chevy or BOP bellhousing it can work with a adapter plate to go either way.

Local Demolition derby guys use them all the time with no problems.

Randy

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
theres some trannys that have a universal monting pattern....AKA both patterns. like the th200r4's do.

if theres anyone in ontario that needs a BOP th350 i have one on a 400 the can have.
i need to take it off to put the original th400 from my GTO on so i can put my drivetrain back together.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD

i was also told that i will lose a significant amoutn of power in a th400 than a th350 because they weigh more and are meant for strength not power.. any one know?>

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
They are horsepower robbers but if you are running any significant hp then you will have a near bullet proof trans. There are ways to make it live longer though. Like doing burnouts in second gear instead of first. Apparently when you shift into second while doing a burnout you can hurt the internals. There is a good article in hot rod or car craft on this. Just thew out all my old mags so don't know what issue.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
i think it was a max of 35hp loss with a 400, and a second gear burnout will put more of a load on the transmission and cause more heat which is a trannys worst enemy.
shifting to second in a burnout is no different than shifting while driving, just that theres not as much air flowing through the transmission (see the thing about heat above). the best thing to do wither way, is to put a transmission cooler in. good insurance.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD

i was told also that you have to do modifications to get a turbo 350 and 400 to fit.. is this true??

what trannys can i put in my 87 cutlass supreme with my olds 350 that will bolt right up with no mods??

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
depends on your xmember.The TH400 and the 200r4 share the same xmember as does the th350 and th200. A T5 might fit one of them too I think I heard.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
I found a local turbo 350 with both bolt patterns, which will be nice once I get my friend's 78 Camaro V8 350 bored out .30 and a rv/towing cam installed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor