Need advice and ideas on exhaust fumes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

78Malibu496bbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
hello, and good evening. i have a 78 malibu 4 dr. ive been having issues with exhaust fumes filling the cab. ive had the car to several reputable exhaust shops and performance shops. car has hooker headers. when i first built the car, i had 3 inch straight pipes dumped right before the rear end, and the fumes convinced me, that the i needed longer pipes. i decided to go with 3 inch pipe to the rear bumper, and hooker electric cutouts right before the rear end. after a few drives, still noticed that the cab was fumy.l checked the cutouts and had no leaks. after that, i knew it just had to be the headers somewhere. 5 exhaust shops/ 3 performance shops appointments later, its still doing it. no one can explain it. We even went to the extreme of thinking that maybe it was the fuel cell we had installed. So we went back with a new factory tank, and lord behold, still darn thing. any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. after paying for 3 full exhaust systems, from header gaskets to tip, im completely at a loss lol.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There might also be a rusted floor problem that might be allow the fumes to enter the car. Make sure everything is good on the underside while fixing the pipe leaks.

Reactions: 1 user

78Malibu496bbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
Did the fumes get you that high to pay for "3 full exhaust systems, from header gaskets to tip"?

Is it an exhaust smell or gas smell

Did the fumes get you that high to pay for "3 full exhaust systems, from header gaskets to tip"?

Is it an exhaust smell or gas smell?
Lol i had most of everything for the 3 different setups ive tried. its for sure exhaust fumes.

78Malibu496bbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
There might also be a rusted floor problem that might be allow the fumes to enter the car. Make sure everything is good on the underside while fixing the pipe leaks.
So in the beginning, i thought the same exact thing. i pulled up the carpet and patched up all holes, and sealed everything. helped some, but the majority was still there.

78Malibu496bbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
Same thing I was thinking but with 5 different shops they would have seen that..
exactly. ive never had an issue like this before. ive never had several exhaust shops look at me, and say, "we smell it too, But have no idea where it could be coming from. "

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What headers?

2241 or 2455?

Windows up?

Windows down?

Heat or a/c?

How does the exhaust exit the body?

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The problem with running exhaust out the back is that when you are moving you create a draft that pulls exhaust back to the car. Check deck lid gaskets, rear light sealing, rust etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor