Need engine advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmerrill53

n00b
Jan 8, 2007
I have an 85 Cutlass and will be racing it at my local 1/4 mile clay oval. Rules say that I have to run an Olds motor, that was a stock option for that year. Does anyone know what engine options were available for an 85 Cutlass? Also, what kind of availability is there on those engines. I wanted to stuff a 350 chevy in there but the track says no! Please help.

Thanks

Norm

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The only factory available engines were the 3.8 L Buick V6 and the 307 Olds V8 (which is not a Chevy 307).

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
i am pretty sure 305s were available in those in 85

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Were there not different engines depending on where you bought the car ie: dallas, texas 307/ toronto, ontario, canada 305. I seem to recall someone saying that depending where you live would decide the engine. That might give some options.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
every race track that I know of has the rules set up on their web site....do you have a link or whats the name of the track?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
ONE EYE said:
i am pretty sure 305s were available in those in 85

You would be mistaken. The last time the 305 was available in a Cutlass was in 1980. Once the 307 Olds motor was released in 1981, the 305 was no longer offered by Olds.

I've got the factory service manuals right in front of me. Only the Buick V6, the lo-po 307 (VIN Y) and the "hi-po" 307 (VIN 9) were offered.

nmerrill53

n00b
Jan 8, 2007
Thanks for the info Joe, that's what I was afraid of. Below is the portion of the rules that pertain to engines. I contacted the track promoter and he confirmed that I can only run a stock motor for that car, which in this case is the 307 or the 231. I wonder how fast i can go around in circles with a V-6?

ELIGIBLE ENGINES
1. Normally aspirated stock standard O.E.M production V-8 or V-6 engines only. No fuel injections, turbos, or diesels. Engines must be mounted in stock location. Engines must be within same corporate line. (G.M. to G.M., Ford to Ford Chrysler to Chrysler). NO BIG BLOCKS. NO ALUMINUM BLOCKS OR HEADS. Maximum engine compression 9.5 to 1. No external oiling devices. G.M. maximum 358 c.i.d., Ford maximum 360 c.i.d., and Chrysler maximum 370 c.i.d. No Roller cams or Roller rockers. No porting, grinding, or polishing allowed. Mini starters OK. NO Vortec Heads.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
i wasnt sure about the engines but its good someone is. lol

and for the rules, i cant see why you are not allowed to use a 350. its says GM to GM so that just limits you to not install a dodge or ford into it. GM is corporate so i see no reason you cant use what motor you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor