need help aligning door on suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
my dad gave me his wrecked suburban, i had to get a front clip and both front doors for it, now big deal. i am trying to align the passenger side door and i am not sure if the main body has more damage then i though or if the door just neds to be aligned right? the hinges on the body and the door are both weded on so short of removing the hinge off the truck and re welding it is there any other way of getting the darn thing aligned? even if this truck ends up a beater i still gotta fix it so i am hoping this does not turn into a pain.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
If the pillar is not bent (sounds like it is slightly) then the hinge will need to be bent or cut off and rewelded. Which way is in not lining up? Front in or out or too far back?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
it is pushed back. i thinkeither the pillar is tweaked or the hinges bent maybe. can i buy new ones so i dont have to worry about damaging the originals getting them off?

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
make sure the hinge pins arent worn out first. it will cause the door to sag. if you have play when you pick the end of the door up then it needs new pins. my dad did alot of 88-99 chevy pickups. i may have some of the parts layin at his place if you need some

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
trust me oin this one, its not the pins lol. the lower hinge needs to move foward about a inch, the upper might be ok but not sure yet. i thought for sure gm would have had some way to have some better adjusting?

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
regalman4925 said:
trust me oin this one, its not the pins lol. the lower hinge needs to move foward about a inch, the upper might be ok but not sure yet. i thought for sure gm would have had some way to have some better adjusting?
dont think so. those hinges are welded or riveted to the cab. more then likely if its that bad you need to either find a replacement section. did it crack the windshield on that corner of the cab? if it did thats a sure sign that the cab was tweaked. might be hard to tell if someone hit the windshield though. most the time its pretty noticeable though. it will spider from one point on the lower corner

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
there are no cracks and no visable damage to the hige areas. there is some minor damage under the lower hinge but it looks like it did not do anything above that, i could be wrong. if i have to reweld the hinges thats not a big deal but getting them off without damaging them is not gonna be fun. im gonna see if i can get ne ones maybe

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
regalman4925 said:
there are no cracks and no visable damage to the hige areas. there is some minor damage under the lower hinge but it looks like it did not do anything above that, i could be wrong. if i have to reweld the hinges thats not a big deal but getting them off without damaging them is not gonna be fun. im gonna see if i can get ne ones maybe
yeah it might get interesting getting those hinges off. is there going to be any problem with the door hitting the bent portion of the cab if you move the hinge? i guess i dont remember how much room there was where the door conforms to that lower part of the pillar

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
the damaged portion is not got be in the way at all. i am going back to work on it tonight so we will see what happens, i gotta get it moves asap, my dads new vette comes today, and its pouring outside :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor