Need help decoding my VIN Number....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
:? ok so I have been a member or browser whatever the case is of this site for a while... I own a 79 Monte which to this point i have done nothing with... i recently returned home from a 7+ month deployment and have managed to budget those months so when i got back i could work on the car... not real secure in my knowledge of american cars much less classic cars.. so i have researched and researched and if i could find the resigstration i would be asking but I have no clue what size engine is in this car so i can start buying replacment parts, I know its a V6 and thats it... i tried to figure it out by the vin, no joy on that end.. so if anyone knows a website or can tell me how to determine this info, I would greatly apreciate it.... the first 5 digits of the Vin are 1Z37M.... i found this other website that broke down vins but only to the year 1973... any help is great, thanks.....Mike :D

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
1Z37M....

1 - 1st digit - Chevy
Z - 2nd digit - Monte Carlo
37 - 3rd & 4th digit - Body Style - Coupe - 2 dr pillar
M - 5th digit - engine - 3.3 L
6th digit should be a 9 in your case- for 197(9)
7th digit (letter) is the plant code
8-13 digits - production sequence number

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Your engine is a 3.3 L 200 CID v6 with a 2 barrel carb. (if still original)

94 horsepower/ 154 ft. lbs @ 2000 RPM

8.2:1 compression ratio

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
Brick442 said:
1Z37M....

1 - 1st digit - Chevy
Z - 2nd digit - Monte Carlo
37 - 3rd & 4th digit - Body Style - Coupe - 2 dr pillar
M - 5th digit - engine - 3.3 L
6th digit should be a 9 in your case- for 197(9)
7th digit (letter) is the plant code
8-13 digits - production sequence number
AWSOME...thanks much!

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
Brick442 said:
Your engine is a 3.3 L 200 CID v6 with a 2 barrel carb. (if still original)

94 horsepower/ 154 ft. lbs @ 2000 RPM

8.2:1 compression ratio
Totally apreciate this.. thank you!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Step one will be finding another engine. As useless as the NA Buick V6 is, that Chevy V6 is actually far worse. Get a 327, 350 or 400 and build from there. These cars are far simpler to mess with than newer ones as most of them either are totally analog, or can easily be made that way.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Step one will be finding another engine. As useless as the NA Buick V6 is, that Chevy V6 is actually far worse. Get a 327, 350 or 400 and build from there. These cars are far simpler to mess with than newer ones as most of them either are totally analog, or can easily be made that way.

In the Works.. for right now I have to get it on the road and able to pass state inspection even if that means using the current engine... starting from the basics and working my way to an engine swap.. i do have to say that i am leaning tword a standard 350, i have no intention of racing or anything, my record here in Va wont allow for that, but i do want to be able to at least keep up with traffic... thanks for the input though....

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
We want pics of the 79
cheesy.gif

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
87LS/88SS said:
We want pics of the 79
cheesy.gif
Under Member Galleries.. dont know how to put them in a reply box thing... all my pics are as the car is currently.. but I am going on leave today, and starting to work on it while not at work.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
What Year of LT1 Engine & transmission combo can I put in my 79? there are a few for sale in my area.... any pointers??? And lets add some more of my rookie no knowledge with this question.. what is being refered too when I am looking for an engine and post say 4 bolt main or 6 bolt main... and how do I tell what mine is.. is this going to matter if I buy engine and transmission together... are only certain bolt patterns interchangeable between vehicles??? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: and why cant I find a Chiltons at the book store anymore????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor