Need help. I don't know jack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
My car was stolen last week and when I got it back it was missing the hood and Weber carb off the 305. I found an 87 Iroc Z 350 with everything but the TPI for $250. I also found a Demon 850 and a Holley Strip Dominator manifold for like $350. Are they compatible and could I drop this in and go or should I just get another carb for my 305? I have no clue if I can change from TPI to that carb setup so easy, it just doesn't sound right to me (that and nothing is ever that easy for me)

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
fatload2 said:
My car was stolen last week and when I got it back it was missing the hood and Weber carb off the 305. I found an 87 Iroc Z 350 with everything but the TPI for $250. I also found a Demon 850 and a Holley Strip Dominator manifold for like $350. Are they compatible and could I drop this in and go or should I just get another carb for my 305? I have no clue if I can change from TPI to that carb setup so easy, it just doesn't sound right to me (that and nothing is ever that easy for me)

Are you wanting to put the Demon and strip dominator on the 350 and drop both into your car? Yeah, it'll work but that big 850 and intake would be way too much for a stock 350 engine. You'd have to lean the carb back alot!

The 350 would be a direct swap for the 305.

Since, as you stated yourself, ... "I don't know jack", I'm wondering if you had a Weber carb or the stock carb for a 305?

The stock 305 carb was a Rochester. Did it look like this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-6 ... /?rtype=10

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
Everybody looks at me funny when I say it was a Weber but yeah it was...or at least that's what it said on it. I figured that carb would be a lot on the 350. It's an L98 350 with roller rockers and a cam from what the seller says. The other seller said he would separate the strip dominator and the demon and my buddy has a Holley but not sure of the model that I could toss on there. Oh and do you think I'll have clearance issues with the Dominator? I can't really afford all of this then another cowl hood so I'd have to go stock and there's a guy selling 2 for $50 each

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
Oh yeah and I also am looking at a 472 and was wondering if my 350 trans would hook up to it or if I would HAVE to get a 400. It's really only driven about 150 miles per month and not hard. I'd like to run it maybe once every couple of months down the strip just for fun tho

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
I believe the Edelbrock carbs have Weber on their castings.
So it is probably an Edlebrock 600 or 650 guessing, for the 305 as anything bigger is pointless.
I've got a 650 AVS on my Mopar.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
jatguit said:
I believe the Edelbrock carbs have Weber on their castings.
So it is probably an Edlebrock 600 or 650 guessing, for the 305 as anything bigger is pointless.
I've got a 650 AVS on my Mopar.
X2-My eddy also had weber on it as well.....A th 350 would work with that big block....

neverendingmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver B.C.
I could be wrong on this but doesn't the tpi setup have a slightly different manifold bolt pattern? If this is the case that dominator manifold probably won't work, and I would be inclined to say that it isn't the right manifold for a stock tpi motor. anyone know?

Hemihauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2010
I would go and try to find a complete 350. Truck motors seem to be easier to find in the scrap yards nowadays, or find an older truck thats rotting that someones selling cheap. Similar situation happened to a friend-intake manifold up was stolen, didnot have motor checked when he put the new parts on-needless to say sh*t in motor-blew up a coupe days later. Anyways Goodluck.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
neverendingmonte said:
I could be wrong on this but doesn't the tpi setup have a slightly different manifold bolt pattern? If this is the case that dominator manifold probably won't work, and I would be inclined to say that it isn't the right manifold for a stock tpi motor. anyone know?

TPI had 2 slightly differant intake patterns. 1 was the same as the older iron heads and then the other has the 2 center bolts on each side at a differant angle. The holes on each can be elongated if needed as the aftermarket TPI intakes do.

If I recall correctly, the factory alum head engines retain the same angle as the older heads. The iron heads (from about 87 up 305's I think) use the revised intake bolt angles.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
When you say that you're "looking at a 472", are you talking about a 472 cu in Cadillac engine? If you are, and my memory serves me correctly, then your Chev turbo 350 transmission won't bolt up to it. You'll need a transmission with the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bellhousing bolt pattern to fit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor