need help identifying sbc parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
ok, the cam is a 14097395 cam that comes in marine, ramjet 350 and high torque 383 crate motors. keeping in mind that i am doing a budget build up do you guys suppose this cam will be to my liking in my regal? there are many people saying that this cam with the vortecs make great all around power from what i have read. it would be great if i could re use it! i am 95% sure that the rods are powdered metal rods which is another great score! now if i can figure out what pistons i have for sure i will be set. diod i mention that i did not pay a penny for this engine? its my dads old boat engine that he hydrolocked and was replaced with a new engine. i can not find any damage at all so i think i am ready to get some rings, bearings and gaskets!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if it's for a daily driver with good MPG and decent power you're good. it will work with a carb and pretty much any octane. if you plan on racing it, it's small. my cam program doesn't have quite that small a cam but with 200 duration at 50 on the intake and 206 on the exhaust and .040 more lift it gives me about 370HP and 440 ft-lbs. the hp does take a bit to build up, but the torque peaks at about 3500rpm and pretty flat to 4500rpm.
since it hydrolocked, and that can slam the lifters i'd replace them with stock GM rollers (cheap)
it'll make a really nice engine and it'll last forever. :D

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i am thinking this cam may work well, you were talking about more lift but if i go with much more i will have to start dumping money into the heads since i am running vortecs. it sounds like once i throw some roller rockers in i will basically have a ramjet 350 except for the fact that i am running a holley stealth ram instead. the ramjet is rated over 350 horse power which is more then enough for me, i like power but too much will get me in trouble lol. i have been reading about the vortec head and ramjet cam setup much of the evening and there is allot of positive comments on the setup. thanks for the help! now does anyone know anything about the pistons? oh, you mentioned that the lifters may be no good, how would i figure that out? do you think they would have been effected if the motor was shut off when the water got into it and then was cranked only after that with no start? long story...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i wasn't recommending a cam change, just letting you know the differences between what i plugged into the computer and what you have. unfortunately there's no god way to check the lifters. i just worry that if it was hydrolocked and cranked over it puts pressure on the valves which can push the pushrod into the lifter pretty hard and damage it. since stock lifters should be pretty cheap i recommend replacing them and insurance.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
:doh: i love when i forget the obvious. yeah, you definately want to replace them.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the rods will go first, but with hydrolock you never know. i'm just being cautious.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
the thing is that the motor was shut off at 65 mph so when the boat stopped it did the usual sink into the water, then the water pushed up into the motor when it was off and then it never started again after that so it had no more torque on anything then the started was pushing out trying to start it again. i looked at the rods and kinda rolled them all on a flat surface and they all look like there was no damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor