need help identifying sbc parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i am trying to figure out if i can reuse my existing internals from my motor, it is from a marine application and if any one knows anything about a boat engine you will know that they are built to be abused. the motor is rated at 300 hp so i am trying to figure out what exactly is in it. the pistons are stamped gm 76a 10172839 and the cam has 395 wb731 and 241 97 r. i have figured out that the crank is a gm high performance cast crank and i think the rods are forged but i am not for sure see if the picture helps to identify the rods?? it seems like it has a much smoother surface then the older one... best case scenario is that i have forged rods and pistons like i was told the motor should have, worst case scenario is i use the rods anyways and get some new flat tops to throw in it.

qspnnm.jpg

the one on the left is the one i am reffering to, the one on the right is from a 70s small block

2igiv5c.jpg

again its the left one

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if the pics were in focus it'd help.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
all i can find is that they're 9.1:1cr (w/64cc heads) dished pistons, and probably hypereutectic.

markiv427

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2008
the rod on the left looks like powdered metal with machined mating surfaces and is considered to be stronger than old-school SBC forged steel rods

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
can you guys get me links to the info? thats more then i have been able to find! sounds like it is worth reusing the stuff! i am surprised the pics didnt turn out, they were taken with a cannon 10 megapixle camera.......

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
yea, i found that but that is about it..... i may have to call the dealer but they usually dont want to help unless you are spending money...

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
is there maybe a casting number else where on the cam that i missed?? i just spent almost 2 hours searching for the cam and pistons but came up with nothing..... if the pistons are in fact 9.1 compression then i am going to use them, the motor is in great shape and just needs new rings, gaskets and bearings to be back together. there is harfly no wear at all on any parts, should be a great rebuild!

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
is it possible that the cam is a stock "395" cam?? i cant find any other markings anywhere. i read a thread that some guy recomended the "395" cam with vortec heads and said it would be around 300-315 horse and was computer friendly which leads me to think that it may be the one the guy is talking about. problem with my searching is that there is a 395 cubic inch motor that is throwing off my results

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
just found this

"A carbureted 355 with Vortec heads and the Marine/Ramjet/HT383 crate motor '395 GM roller cam is capable of in the neighborhood of 350 FWHP @ 5,000 RPM with TQ above 400 LbFt from 2,500 through 4,000 on 87 Octane. You'll want to keep static compression down about 9 to 1 though since this cam builds a lot of low speed cylinder pressure and your DCR is going to be crowding the limit for 87 Octane in a heavy vehicle. I am building this combo for my '89 C1500 Sportside and have talked to a couple others running nearly the same setup. They are getting 20+ MPG cruising at 70 MPH in 1/2 Ton PU's running 700R4's with 3.73 gears. I'll be running a Getrag 282 5 speed with 3.73's. 9.5 to 1 might be pushing it in a heavy vehicle with a carb but if you're running EFI with all the electronic controls it would be a piece of cake. Like someone else said do NOT try to gear it for the lowest RPM, keep it into the torque curve BUT with this combo you can turn it fairly slow because while "peak" torque comes in at about 3500 the torque curve is as flat as Kansas from just off idle to 4,000 and it's within about 20 LbFt of peak at either end of that range. Perfect for a truck or most street driven cars for that matter. I'll be running a Performer intake and the Model 1400 600 cfm carb, which is calibrated for fuel economy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor