Need help picking rear end!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I have a Quick Performance Ford 9 housing in my Regal. Its a pretty nice unit. I also have a Chassisworks Fab 9 in my cutty, to be honest I like the Chassisworks better. Super nicely built unit and a little cleaner for exhaust routing, brake lines and whatnot.

Don't think you need a super heavy duty housing for proturning. I've made that mistake.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It might be a good time for UMI to chime in to clarify the situation. It stands to reason that any housing designed to drop in will work with their coilover kit, but stranger things have happened.
My personal opinion: 12 bolts and 8.5s are overrated and overpriced, unless you can shorten an older BOP 10 bolt. They say 9s rob power, but you got to have real power to break one as well. Motorheadmike has an S60 in the wagon if i recall. The benefits are that it's stronger than the 8.5 or 10 bolt, stronger than a 12 bolt, is lighter and more efficient than a 9", and has bolt in axles.

Reactions: 1 users

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
I agree don't need to be too heavy for Pro-touring build... no issues with leaks with the quick performance? Ill have to look into the Chassisworks!

would the S60 have wilwood brake options? that's the other question item to match up my front brakes!

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
As you can see, the Fab 9 has a cleaner look. I found the Quick 9 was a little tighter for a dual 3" exhaust with the back bracing.

20200420_130631.jpg
20181230_211026.jpg

I also found the angles of the shock mounts on the Quick 9 were just a few degrees different than stock and made shock mounting a bit more of a pain. If you are going to do coil mounts it might mean there would be some custom engineering involved compared to a stock rear setup like an 8.5.

Reactions: 2 users

bigscoobie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2014
Contact PEM in St. Claire, Missouri. Best prices for some of the best 9" rear ends built.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If you want a bolt in, get a GN or 442 8.5". Period. Any other rear end will cost much more than initially thought. Both in time and money. What are you planning on for the rear brakes? Stock, factory style discs, aftermarket? That should figure into your decision as well. Once again, both time and money. Discs are nice, but unless you buy a complete kit that is KNOWN to work on our cars you often end up chasing brake issues until you get the combination of parts for it all to work together.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
I would like to put the Wilwood rear disks to match the fronts on my car. I agree that other rear ends will be more work but im sure there is solutions that are known to work relatively easily in our cars... although my not be very cheap!

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Sometimes the underside of a car is the most sexual thing about it.
I surf this forum and people start posting the undercarriage of some of these beautifully manicured suspension, exhaust and drivetrain systems, it really makes me feel inadequate.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Sometimes the underside of a car is the most sexual thing about it.
I surf this forum and people start posting the undercarriage of some of these beautifully manicured suspension, exhaust and drivetrain systems, it really makes me feel inadequate.
Sorry not sorry lol. Alot of time spent on this damn thing...
20200104_201916.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor