Need help pin pointing a leak (interior)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
I've been having an inside leak for sometime now and I'm ready to get to the bottom of it already. It's an 85 Monte SS and does not have T Tops. My passenger floor keeps getting wet, not puddling but wet. So I automatically assumed heater core and swapped that out last week only to have the same problem after I washed my car. Now I'm leaning towards a bad AC Box seal. I also feel heat coming from both sides of the under the dash after driving for sometime. Makes me think heat is creeping past the AC Box seal and getting into the vents, as the water is as well. I noticed the drip coming from where two plastic pieces meet for the vent. This is under the dash as well. What do you guys think??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
These cars can leak from any number of places... from a bad A/C heater box seal to bad pinch weld seams. I would start with the heater box. Have someone run a hose around the box while you're observing under the dash with your trusty flashlight.
Also make sure your drain is clear. Besides the body seams, other places could be run around the windshield frame( I know about that first hand). Another area I had a problem with, was the flapper seal in the lower portion of the air box. The rubber seal became compromised. I later replaced the flapper door and seal, but that's not usually the problem. I would focus on the air box seal.
Good luck!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
There are also two holes in the corners of the firewall that were poorly sealed by the factory. Only way to reach them is to pull both fenders off.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
On an 82 I owned for a short time it was coming from somewhere right behind the heater box but since the heat worked just fine I cut up a small plastic bin a certain way and wedged it in there facing the other way so water would get diverted without pooling on the frame anymore. Not saying thats what you should do but this was on a daily driver car in not very good shape though. Laugh if you want to but it solved the problem for like $2 and I didn't feel like spending big bucks on the heat when it already was working fine regardless (once I knew it wasn't the water pump causing the problem*)

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Just ordered the box seal.. Hope this does it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor