Need help with 97 Cavalier 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
chevy2480 said:
Did you do a compression check yet to rule that out?
Not yet I plan on driving to autozone to get it scanned and then do the compression check in the parking lot. How far do you think I can get with a flashing MIL?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I went to autozone to scan it and pressure test it. When I drove it there it acted exactly like it has the past couple days, just bad cold idle that clears up after driving it for a little bit. The MIL is still on but not flashing anymore. It pulled 6 codes and passed the pressure test. The codes are:
PO118 - ECT problem, not sure if this is because I unplugged it or not
PO137 - O2 sensor low voltage
PO300 - misfire
PO335 - crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
PO404 - EGR circuit range
PO440 - EVAP malfunction
Given these codes where should I go? My plans are to replace the fuel filter and ECT and I bought a crank position sensor because it was cheaper than I thought it would be.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Etc code probably set when you unplugged it.
The p0300 code could be faulty ignition module, bad wires or plugs. All 3 can clear up after warm
The crank postion sensor would and could be your problem but i doubt it. Usually when that is faulty when you shut car off it wont start usually. Also be careful when removeing it you dont snap it off in block. What a b*tch that is. Next thing your stuck with is removing the oil pan to get it out. Also not easy to get to trans gets in the way.

First thing i would do is plugs and wires. b*tch part right now is random misfire if it was a full out miss fire you would know what coil.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I wasnt able to remove the fuel filter because of the genious quick disconnect clip thats now broken. I hooked the old filter back up and it idles the same, stumbles on acceleration, and the check engine light is off. Im about to pay a shop to **** with it because im getting no where. Im gonna try and get a fuel pressure gauge to see if there is a restriction and if not the old filter stays.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
If you can get the line off I believe a new clip will come with a new filter...
Yea I have the new filter and clip but the old clip is broke off and theres no way to remove it without cutting the line it seems. Could I get some high pressure hose and use that instead of the factory clip? Like cut the end off of the factory hardline, flare the end and use the hose with clamps? I know its not "right" but the previous owners already raped this thing anyway :lol: You shoulda seen the brakelines before I fixed them...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in google I came across this fix

IMG_0668.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I think I fixed the main problem. After replacing the plug wires the idle is back to normal and there isnt a stumble off idle. I didnt change plugs sooner because they were only about a year old. Maybe a cheap set? I put the Napa high mileage ones on now and I will be replacing the plugs tomarow. Plugs are maybe 10k miles old but they are cheap so I may as well. The only problen I have now is when I let off the throttle after revving it in neutral or coasting to a stop the engine takes way longer than it should to idle back down.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
And pontiacgp I seen that while lookin for ideas. Thanks for looking though.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well after a few days of problem free driving my problems are back. Now I have a massive misfire until the engine is warm. Before I could raise the rpm and the misfire would stop but now its at every speed until the engine is warmed up. Once the engine is warm the misfire goes away completely and doesnt come back until the next time I start it cold. Anymore ideas here guys? Thanks for any input

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor