need help with swpping a 350 chevy into a 1981 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

81dragcutlass83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2010
rockford il
i need help or advice on swapping a 350 chevy into a 1981 cutlass the cutlass. I got as a drag roller with no motor or trans. The guy i bought it from for 150.00 bucks had a built 455 in it and must have put the v6 mounts back in.I have pics of the mounts i removed and the new chevy mounts i bought. My issue is i bought chevy mounts from oriellys part number 2292 and bolted the frame mounts to frame and clam shells to motor.Tried to drop motor in and the mounts fit but the center hole where the big bolt goes through is a half inch off and can not get bolt through on one side.I have tried flipping frame mounts and still have the hal inch off on the passenger side.Does anyone know how to fix this issue oriellys says the frame mounts are the same part number and identical. Is this true or is there a left and right side frame mount even though they have same number.So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 1,364
  • engine 1.jpg
    engine 1.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 1,359
  • cutty 81 engine drop.jpg
    cutty 81 engine drop.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 1,511

81dragcutlass83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2010
rockford il
theres are the two different mounts one for olds other for chevy

Attachments

• chevy mounts.jpg
    chevy mounts.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,272
  • olds mounts.jpg
    olds mounts.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,296

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
It's been years since I did a Chevy 350 swap into my old Cutlass, but I'll give it a shot. I seem to recall that I used the mount setup out of a Monte Carlo with a 305 engine. I remember that when I mounted the frame side brackets only 3 out of the 4 holes were used (I'm pretty sure that I did not use the mounts that came in the car). Like I said, this was years ago, so I could be mistaken...

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Just put a chevy tpi in my 86 olds and used the same frame mounts. You can only use 3 of the holes and the mounts will sit towards the front of the frame crossmember. Make sure u bolt them right side up. there is an upside and downside. May not look like it, but there is. There's a little notch on one side of the rubber parts, which is the top, and that is what the clamshell sits inside of.

81dragcutlass83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2010
rockford il
great news my buddy tim came over and was able to muscle the motor in so shes in finally thanks for all the help guys

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
i got my frame mounts from oreilly's also and i had the same problem. luckily i had my entire front end stripped down to just the frame so i was able to use a crow bar and move the wiggle the engine to get the bolts in, it was a pain in the *ss.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
81dragcutlass83 said:
great news my buddy tim came over and was able to muscle the motor in so shes in finally thanks for all the help guys
That is good news, glad you got it figured out.Post some pics of that $150.00 roller of yours 8)

81dragcutlass83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2010
rockford il
thats exactly what we did used a crowbar and some big screw drivers and muscled the baby in the bolts in the holes the same way bro and yes a big pain in the a$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor