Need help with transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
okay I swapped in a Chevy 350 to my 84 cutlass supreme and I used the stock transmission to go with it and got the adapter plate and all. It is nice but I would like something better and I was looking towards a 700r4 and was seeking for opinions on them plus what years to look for? Thanks!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Look for a 1987+ from an F-body - look for one with the mechanical speedo sender on the tailhousing. The 700-R4 is a good choice if you have 3.08 and higher rear gears. A lot of people don't like the large numerical gap between first and second gear, but if you find a decent trans, you get a good trade of acceleration with the steep 3.06 first gear and maximum RPM reduction with the 0.70 overdrive. I have a budget lockup kit I'm not using if you find a good transmission.

Reactions: 1 user

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Perfect! Thanks so much! I found one from an 89 pickup 2wd that needs a rebuild for only $80

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor