need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moeman.kj5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2014
Chicago, il
I recently bought a 85 cutlass g body and bought some 24" rims to put on. Wanted to know will I need control arms with the lift kit? I have 5" cups and springs being installed on it. Let me know what you think!! Thanks.

Attachments

• CAM01184.jpg
    CAM01184.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 443
  • CAM01185.jpg
    CAM01185.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 445
  • 264.jpeg
    264.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 442

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
Yes you will need extended control arms to keep your front tires square on the ground. If you don't after a while or even immediately your camber angle will be off and your wheels will look like there leaning back into the wheel well. Type in "bad camber" on google and look through images. It wont be as dramatic as the tuner/import cars but thats what it will look like. Plus if you get new control arms you wont have to worry about the stock stuff being worn out. While your at it you might want to do shocks if you haven't already. I like that cutlass to. Good luck

moeman.kj5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2014
Chicago, il
Hey @youngguy thanks alot. I already had the thought that I would have to buy those too but wanted to get others opinions. But I haven't put shocks on it yet. Are those a necessity I'm these situations?

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
I just read your other post, seen where your from. Are you trying to squat in the rear? If I was you I would call one the major shops in FL and ask about parts they would recommend for Shocks and Extended Control Arms. If you don't do shocks the ride quality will not be as good as your use to. Our cars ride so smooth with all the stock parts lol You might want to retain that quality of ride. But as far as replying no problem man. Just post some more good pics of the cutlass for us to look at. Some people may not like the wheels but the body looks very straight.

moeman.kj5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2014
Chicago, il
YoungGuy said:
Yes you will need extended control arms to keep your front tires square on the ground. If you don't after a while or even immediately your camber angle will be off and your wheels will look like there leaning back into the wheel well. Type in "bad camber" on google and look through images. It wont be as dramatic as the tuner/import cars but thats what it will look like. Plus if you get new control arms you wont have to worry about the stock stuff being worn out. While your at it you might want to do shocks if you haven't already. I like that cutlass to. Good luck

I'm wondering will I need a cutting done??

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
That depends on 1. How wide your wheels are. 2 The final resting place after you figure how you want the cars stance & Height comes down a little after the springs settle in. Like I said call one of the shops in FL. One of them will lead you in the right direction. Suspension parts are simple but how the parts work together can make it complex.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
A lift kit is unnecessary for 24s. On your other post, I listed what you neeneeded. Ditch the 5" cups unless you're considering mounting some 30s or bigger.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Whoever steered you towards 5'' cups was working with A-body big boy cars that's a little dramatic for a g-body. You don't need any lift if you just get new springs from moog and replace your ball joints. You can also go with 'tall' style ball joints but then you cant run under 17's until you put stock ball joint back. If you really want the chevy riding high look just get moog springs and maybe 2'' lift at the most. 5 will look a little stupid.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Ideally everyone with stock parts should consider redoing their control arms at some point but thats a huge financial commitment and you don't need the extendo control arms unless you plan on going even bigger than 24'' wheels in the future... that would cost hundreds of dollars! Another option is to just box your frame in the rear it is 52.5 - 53'' inches across* and get a nice rear sway bar. Don't forget to factor in wheel backspacing which might take a few times to get right sized spacers so it rides just right. Bilstein shocks are very expensive but would be a nice cheap improvement for rear shocks at least. If you stay stock the Bilstein shocks should hold the 24's up a long time especially if you are using the tall ball joints w/ fresh springs. A lift kit just becomes wasted money.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor