Need Ideas on How To Make My Olds Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
The title seems a little cheesy and maybe a little lame but it gets the point across. I have an 83 Cutlass with a Olds 350 and 350c trans and it is pretty much dog slow. I give it hell in first gear and it won't even bark the tires. The trans has a shift kit in it too. The only modifications to the engine are an Edelbrock carburetor and intake manifold. Everything else is pretty much stock. With that being said I want to do some modifications to make it more fun to drive but I'm not sure where to start. A lot of my GM friends keep telling me to swap out the engine/trans for a chevy engine/trans but I would like to keep it Oldsmobile if I can. You are probably thinking "well guy, there are a lot of factors that come into play with your setup that we don't know about". Well I thought about that and here is everything I know about the car, mechanically;

• Factory rear end, probably with factory gears. 7.5"
  • Oldsmobile 350 engine out of a Delta 88
  • Transmission may be original I don't know for sure
  • Reputable transmission shop installed the shift kit
  • Manifolds, not headers
  • Flowmaster mufflers, dual exhaust from the manifold back
What can I do to make this car more fun to drive? I'm kind of looking for it to spin the tires at least, without brake-torqing it.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Rear ends seem get neglected all the time unless they are supported by two legs. Change the oil and you'll see what you have, you may have a 2.29 in there. The rear end will work better with fresh oil no matter what the gears are.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
Rear ends seem get neglected all the time unless they are supported by two legs. Change the oil and you'll see what you have, you may have a 2.29 in there. The rear end will work better with fresh oil no matter what the gears are.
Ok I'll check it when I get home.

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
get yourself a holley street dominator 2 intake, a holley 650 carb, with a 2 inch spacer. That'll wake your car up

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Also, not all 350s are the same. Think of it like an old chevy truck and an old monte. They both have 350s but the truck only has 236 hp while the monte has 300. Same motor, different internal specs

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
It has either 2.14 or 2.29 gears. My math is a little off but it is one of those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor