Need Ideas on How To Make My Olds Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The gear swap can go either way. It can get you up to speed faster but it can also run you out of power faster.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
Well the problem I am finding with the timing is the timing mark keeps jumping around. It wont stay still. Distributor vac line and carb vac line are plugged.

Carb, plugs and wires are brand new.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I would start the ignition timing at 12* btdc at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and vacuum line plugged. Set initial advance then re connect the vacuum line. In my experience only a radical cam is going to need over 16* initial advance. Like I said I would start with 12* initial...

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Is the engine idling smooth when the timing is bouncing?

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
The timing isnt bouncing anymore. I just retimed it to 14* BTDC. It runs smooth and sounds good. It was never super dog slow. It does pick up when you mash it to the floor but the tires dont spin in first. I think that has everything to do with the gears.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You guys can't suggest base timing setting without knowing how much mechanical advance is built into the distributor. 12 degrees base timing ain't gonna cut it if the distributor has only 14 degrees built into it. On the other hand 20 base is way too much if you have say 24 mechanical. If the distributor is recurved, it should run very well with 20 initial.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have seen both curves in Olds HEI distributors but most have lower mechanical advance amounts. The motor will plain run better with more intial. I also found a couple of extra degrees over 36 total run stronger on the street. I bet he could add a couple more degrees. Low compression Olds engines tolerate much more timing than the sbc.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
I got my car back from the shop today after they installed 373 gears and it is night and day. I can spin the tires and make them bark when I shift. Thanks everyone for all of your input!!!! :) :)

Reactions: 1 user

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
Haha yes!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor